You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 15 low upload speed

Hi,

Wi-Fi speed has been tested ok at 20 Mbs download and 8 Mbs upload with a computer.

iOS 15 Iphone 12 pro is getting 20 Mbs download but only 3-4 Mbs upload.

Starting 8 Mbs and kickly dropping down to 3-4 Mbs ... before rising again a little bit slowly.

This makes FaceTime video and audio calls impossible... on wifis like on 4G too.

Iphone has been reinitialized and problem still occurs.

No background App running. No VPN running. No Adblock running. Apple Private Relay desactivated.

How to fix this very low upload speed problem ?

Thank you for helping.

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on Oct 6, 2021 11:33 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2021 11:58 PM

Hello Maged100,

I speedtested my iphone in a wifi to fiber environment : upload was really good ... up to 50 MB. So to me iPhone is ok.

Then, I phoned Apple regarding this issue of low upload speed, but the guy on the phone first seemed not to be much helpfull at all is this matter. Apple said, all background apps shall be switched off, localization shall be off, etc ... I then thought I already did so (but may be not as completly as it would have been necessary...). It then seem nothing improved.

Finnally, by also tring to expend battery usage to maximum between two charges I applied some of following suggestions you can translate on the net if needed :

10 trucs simples pour économiser de la batterie sur un iPhone (francoischarron.com)

14 astuces pour économiser la batterie de votre iPhone (01net.com)

Then I checked again my upload speed and realized it most of the time improved of 3-4 MB which is 50% of my upload speed at home !

I so beleive iOs 15 and many background apps are using 3-4 MB of upload speed for some usages (localization, etc..) you can switch off if not needed. Doing so will free this 3-4 MB of uplaod trafic that is much needed on low and medium upload speed wifi and 3G-4G data connexions.

It would be great if all those apps and iOs using so much of upload flow could be limited to 10-20% of upload speed to keep iPhone available for user/owner... Does anyone have a suggestion to do so ?

Hope this will help you.

Have a good day :)

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 9, 2021 11:58 PM in response to maged100

Hello Maged100,

I speedtested my iphone in a wifi to fiber environment : upload was really good ... up to 50 MB. So to me iPhone is ok.

Then, I phoned Apple regarding this issue of low upload speed, but the guy on the phone first seemed not to be much helpfull at all is this matter. Apple said, all background apps shall be switched off, localization shall be off, etc ... I then thought I already did so (but may be not as completly as it would have been necessary...). It then seem nothing improved.

Finnally, by also tring to expend battery usage to maximum between two charges I applied some of following suggestions you can translate on the net if needed :

10 trucs simples pour économiser de la batterie sur un iPhone (francoischarron.com)

14 astuces pour économiser la batterie de votre iPhone (01net.com)

Then I checked again my upload speed and realized it most of the time improved of 3-4 MB which is 50% of my upload speed at home !

I so beleive iOs 15 and many background apps are using 3-4 MB of upload speed for some usages (localization, etc..) you can switch off if not needed. Doing so will free this 3-4 MB of uplaod trafic that is much needed on low and medium upload speed wifi and 3G-4G data connexions.

It would be great if all those apps and iOs using so much of upload flow could be limited to 10-20% of upload speed to keep iPhone available for user/owner... Does anyone have a suggestion to do so ?

Hope this will help you.

Have a good day :)

Nov 10, 2021 1:19 AM in response to Tenreks

This may also be of some interest regarding poor 3G-4G upload spped:

How to Limit Your Data Usage on iPhone - iGeeksBlog

But it would be great if all those apps and iOs using so much of upload data flow could be limited to 10-20% of upload data total usage flow on wifi to keep iPhone available for user/owner... Does anyone have a suggestion to do so ?

Thank you

Dec 1, 2021 3:57 AM in response to Tenreks

It also seems that some router doesn't work properly if either the firmware is not up to date or no recent firmware solves the problem.

To test if it is a router problem, test you iPhone on another wifi with another router.

For instance Huawei EchoLife HG8245H is a kind of routing-type ONT in the Huawei all-optical access solution that seems to have big problems with iPhones ... Other Huawei ONT has problems too.

iOS 15 low upload speed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.