You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music stops playing in iPhone when screen is locked after upgrade to iOS15.

Environment:

iPhone XR

iOS15

Apple Music

Wired headphone plugged with the Thunderbolt to headphone jack dongle

I noticed today that when I put down my iPhone and locked the screen (one click on power button), the Apple Music stops playing.

When I lift my phone the screen awakes and the music continues to play.

Music also stops when the screen sleeps automatically after a few seconds the phone is put down on the table.

I only noticed this since I upgrade to iOS15.

Anyone else experiencing this? How did you solve this problem?

Thanks,

Nat

iPhone XR

Posted on Oct 7, 2021 12:32 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2021 8:57 PM

Had this same issue with 15.1 and 15.2 (iPhone 13 Pro) and I have FIXED it. After messing around it is a cellular problem. Connect to WiFi in airplane mode. Start the music app, play a song and lock the screen. Should play music as is supposed to. Next, turn cellular back on and go to Settings>Cellular. Scroll down to Music and turn it off then back on.

This should resolve the issue. At least for me it did. This was after all the bogus recommendations to restart the phone a billion times that I troubleshooted on my own. Hope it works for everyone.

cheers

15 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 17, 2021 8:57 PM in response to Nathaniel_Alino

Had this same issue with 15.1 and 15.2 (iPhone 13 Pro) and I have FIXED it. After messing around it is a cellular problem. Connect to WiFi in airplane mode. Start the music app, play a song and lock the screen. Should play music as is supposed to. Next, turn cellular back on and go to Settings>Cellular. Scroll down to Music and turn it off then back on.

This should resolve the issue. At least for me it did. This was after all the bogus recommendations to restart the phone a billion times that I troubleshooted on my own. Hope it works for everyone.

cheers

Oct 7, 2021 6:38 PM in response to Nathaniel_Alino

Hey Nathaniel_Alino,

We see when listening to the Music app with your EarPods, if you put the display to sleep, it automatically pauses the music.

To aid us in isolating this further, can you confirm the following?

• If you allow the screen to time out by itself, does the same thing happen?
  • Does this happen only with your EarPods and the dongle, or when playing music through the iPhone speakers as well?
  • If you haven't already, Restart your iPhone. Does the issue persist after that?

Let us know these details, and we'll continue from there.

Cheers!

Oct 7, 2021 7:41 PM in response to DerekM87

Hi DerekM87,

Thanks for taking interest on this issue.

1. when screen automatically times out, it stops the music as well. To keep listening to music, I have disabled Display Brightness > Auto-Lock to Never.
  2. I’m not using EarPods but another brand of earphone with the Apple dongle. The issue persists even playing music through the iPhone speakers.
  3. Problem persisted even after restarting my iPhone.

Thanks,

Nat

Nov 2, 2021 10:36 AM in response to Mortonmojo

I am also experiencing this and I can confirm it is an IOS15 issue as I have an older phone with IOS14 and that phone does not have the same problems.

My problems started after I downloaded IOS15 and I believe Apple are aware of the problem as in the bug fixes in IOS 15.1 mention that the problem has been resolved which it clearly has not. If you visit the IPSW website the bug fixes are listed under IOS15 and IOS 15.1. Unfortunately you cannot downgrade to IOS 14 as Apple to not allow you to do that.

Nov 2, 2021 11:08 AM in response to Nathaniel_Alino

Please see my previous response and all that I can suggest for a temporary fix until Apple sort this out is to disable screen lock although I have just noticed when typing this that if you open another app while your music is playing despite screen lock being disabled the music stops and will only continue when you are actually in the music app.

Nov 10, 2021 6:02 AM in response to J_aries

I have contacted Apple and I have a case number for this issue. Apple are aware of the issue and it has been listed as high priority. I have an another iPhone running IOS 14.8 and this phone does not have the same issue. Apple downloaded logs from both of my phones to compare to find out what the problem is and they have admitted that it is an IOS 15 bug. Hopefully we will have a fix in the next IOS update.

Nov 18, 2021 12:04 AM in response to Mortonmojo

Update on my situation:

My iPhone XR iOS 15.1 is no longer experiencing the issue. Music app continuously play the music uninterrupted as I switch to another App or lock the screen (by pressing the power button or screen Auto-Locks after 30 sec).

I was not sure what fixed it between reboots, iOS 15.1, or Music app update. The problem just disappeared.

I don’t have Spotify or other music streaming app to verify.

Hope the problem disappears for everyone and most importantly Apple spend more resources to extensive test before pushing software updates to millions of users. I feel software QA has dipped in the past years.

Ciao!

Nat

Apple Music stops playing in iPhone when screen is locked after upgrade to iOS15.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.