You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch ID is missing from System Preferences. How do I get it back?

Touch ID stopped working on my brand new iMac M1 (running Big Sur, all updated). I then try to solve this by removing my fingerprint on Touch ID, but couldn't add a new one since the button to do this wasn't working. After a reboot, the Touch ID is now missing from System Preferences. Help!!

iMac 24″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 7, 2021 3:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2021 7:03 AM

Hello MrKa0z,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities! We see you're having an issue with your M1 iMac and Touch ID with a Magic Keyboard, and we'd like to help.

Were you able to follow all of the steps in the article viewed, including powering the Magic Keyboard off/on?

If Touch ID isn't working on your Mac

If so, and you're still not able to find the Touch ID in System Preferences, let's try some other troubleshooting steps:

Start up in safe mode. It may take longer to finish the start up, as safe mode does some system checks, and can sometimes resolve unexpected issues. You'll also see some differences in the display. This is expected with safe mode, and when you restart normally, they'll be gone. Restart normally, and test again.

How to use safe mode on your Mac

Test with a different user. If you doin't have another user set up, here's how:

Log out, sleep, wake, restart, or shut down your Mac

Take care!

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 8, 2021 7:03 AM in response to MrKa0z

Hello MrKa0z,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities! We see you're having an issue with your M1 iMac and Touch ID with a Magic Keyboard, and we'd like to help.

Were you able to follow all of the steps in the article viewed, including powering the Magic Keyboard off/on?

If Touch ID isn't working on your Mac

If so, and you're still not able to find the Touch ID in System Preferences, let's try some other troubleshooting steps:

Start up in safe mode. It may take longer to finish the start up, as safe mode does some system checks, and can sometimes resolve unexpected issues. You'll also see some differences in the display. This is expected with safe mode, and when you restart normally, they'll be gone. Restart normally, and test again.

How to use safe mode on your Mac

Test with a different user. If you doin't have another user set up, here's how:

Log out, sleep, wake, restart, or shut down your Mac

Take care!

Touch ID is missing from System Preferences. How do I get it back?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.