You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete photos app

I hate the memories feature of the photos app. I do not want it to make ANY memories for me. If I delete all of my photos from the library can I be free of this feature? I would be happy to delete the whole app and just save my photos elsewhere if that is the only way to stop this. Can apple please make this memory thing and option that we can choose not to have? This involves all my devices but it only let me choose one.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 12, 2021 8:01 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2021 3:53 AM

The Photos.app is a part of the system and protected by the system on the mac. You cannot delete it on a Mac, but you can remove the photos Library and not feed Photos with data. To prevent the creation of memories avoid the creation of a System Photos Library. Try to use only libraries, that have not been enabled as a system Photos Library. You could also discourage Photos by marking all created Memories with “suggest less”, before you delete them. Disable all notifications about memories and never look at the Memory folder.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 13, 2021 3:53 AM in response to Community User

The Photos.app is a part of the system and protected by the system on the mac. You cannot delete it on a Mac, but you can remove the photos Library and not feed Photos with data. To prevent the creation of memories avoid the creation of a System Photos Library. Try to use only libraries, that have not been enabled as a system Photos Library. You could also discourage Photos by marking all created Memories with “suggest less”, before you delete them. Disable all notifications about memories and never look at the Memory folder.

Oct 13, 2021 8:54 AM in response to léonie

Thank you! I guess the quickest solution will be to empty out the photos Library. If only they would make the memories feature an option. Thanks again!

How to delete photos app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.