You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update to Big Sur

Is to too late to update to macOS Big Sur? I have macOS Catalina 10.15.7 & when I go to System Preferences/Software Update, I see macOS Big Sur & "upgrade Now button & "More Info" Link.

When I click the link, I am taken to a macOS Monterey Apple Web page.

I do NOT want to go from Catalina to Monterey.

I thought Monterey was not available until 10-15-21.

If I click "Update Now" IDK which OS I will get.

Posted on Oct 20, 2021 8:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2021 4:21 AM

If being offered Monterey - this may indicate this computer is enrolled for Beta Testing for Monterey. Follow the Beta un-Enrol process >>> https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/faq

How do I stop receiving public betas and install the next shipping iOS, iPadOS, macOS, tvOS or watchOS release?

When your device is enrolled in the Apple Beta Software Program, you will automatically receive new versions of the public beta from iOS Software Update, the Mac App Store, tvOS Software Update or watchOS Software Update. At any time, you may unenroll your device so that it no longer receives these updates. Then, when the next version of commercial software is released, you can install it from iOS Software Update, the Mac App Store, tvOS Software Update or watchOS Software Update.

Learn more about unenrolling your device

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 21, 2021 4:21 AM in response to growler62000

If being offered Monterey - this may indicate this computer is enrolled for Beta Testing for Monterey. Follow the Beta un-Enrol process >>> https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/faq

How do I stop receiving public betas and install the next shipping iOS, iPadOS, macOS, tvOS or watchOS release?

When your device is enrolled in the Apple Beta Software Program, you will automatically receive new versions of the public beta from iOS Software Update, the Mac App Store, tvOS Software Update or watchOS Software Update. At any time, you may unenroll your device so that it no longer receives these updates. Then, when the next version of commercial software is released, you can install it from iOS Software Update, the Mac App Store, tvOS Software Update or watchOS Software Update.

Learn more about unenrolling your device

Oct 21, 2021 3:43 AM in response to growler62000

Go to the App Store and search for Big Sur.

By the way, Monterey will be launched next Monday, so this is the best time to get Big Sur.

We can still download older OS versions from Apple, but they don't show directly in the App Store; the same is likely to happen with Big Sur.

If you want to just keep the Big Sur installer available, know that after it installs the OS, the installer deletes itself.

You can quit the installer, and make a copy of it on a separate drive for safekeeping.

The installer will be in the Applications folder and be named "Install macOS Big Sur".

Update to Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.