You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS Update Assistant

In a move to keep my Mac updated, I clicked on update Mac OS. Now my Mac is frozen in an update loop, where the blue scroll is not moving( like the picture in a previous email with the same issue). I’ve rebooted many times and closed out, but it keeps coming back to the same screen. Please provide any assistance to get out of this loop!

thanks!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 21, 2021 6:43 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2021 6:54 AM

Macoshelp2 wrote:

In a move to keep my Mac updated, I clicked on update Mac OS. Now my Mac is frozen in an update loop, where the blue scroll is not moving( like the picture in a previous email with the same issue). I’ve rebooted many times and closed out, but it keeps coming back to the same screen. Please provide any assistance to get out of this loop!
thanks!

Any idea what update was involved because the only update to Mojave on MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14 was Security Update 2021-005 (Mojave)

As for getting out of the loop - shutdown computer by any means including the Power Button. Restart in Safe Mode, Shift key immediately at restart and hold until the Apple Logo is presented, the release.

This Mode will do a Repair Disk, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The loading process is slow and may or may not allow the update process to complete.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 21, 2021 6:54 AM in response to Macoshelp2

Macoshelp2 wrote:

thanks!

Any idea what update was involved because the only update to Mojave on MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14 was Security Update 2021-005 (Mojave)

As for getting out of the loop - shutdown computer by any means including the Power Button. Restart in Safe Mode, Shift key immediately at restart and hold until the Apple Logo is presented, the release.

This Mode will do a Repair Disk, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The loading process is slow and may or may not allow the update process to complete.

Oct 21, 2021 9:53 AM in response to Macoshelp2

At this point - suggest shutdown and disconnect all external devices. Attach to charger and restart in Recovery Mode Command + r and keep holding until the Recovery Mode is presented.

It will present options >> Disk Utilities >> View >> View ALL attached Drives. and choose the Upper Most Drive and not the volumes listed below and indented. Do a Repair Disk as many time as needed until not error message are listed.

Now restart in Normal Mode and hope the Setup Assist can complete

Oct 21, 2021 7:38 AM in response to Macoshelp2

Thank you for the pictures and the effort to supple some information.

That last picture looks like the Update Assist is struggling to update whatever was installed.

Am guessing - this might be an upGRADE from Mojave to Big Sur.

Just hope the drive had the Empty Space Requirements - Apple States Requiring 35.6 GB of Empty Space but suggest 50 GB

Oct 21, 2021 8:40 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I believe you are correct in the upgrade to Big Sur. I tried the reboot as you suggested, but still brings me to the update assistant and pop up text”an error occurred while applying the software update”. Then takes me to a screen”choose startup disc” select the system you want to use to start up your computer.

Mac OS Update Assistant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.