You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Photo Library and my internal hard drive

I have a large collection of photos and videos in Photos. I think it’s about 800 GB. I recently turned on the iCloud Photo Library (and it took forever to get everything into the cloud). I chose to optimize Photos on all my devices. Thus, all of my photos and vids are now in the cloud. I have a backup on an external drive. My iMac recently died. I just ordered a new MacBook Pro w a 1 TB drive.

1. Is there any way to know how much internal hard drive space Photos will use on my new laptop when I turn on iCloud? I don’t want to download everything from the cloud onto my laptop’s hard drive. Will my laptop’s hard drive only ever contain those photos and videos I bring down from the cloud when editing?
  2. Since I chose to optimize, is there a way to limit how much hard drive space Photos will have access to?
  3. My typical workflow is to create new vids on my iPhone (volleyball) which will work their way into the cloud. I will then want to edit the vids on my new laptop by pulling some down from the cloud. Once I’m done editing, I will no longer need the vids on my laptop’s hard drive. Is there a way to keep my hard drive from getting cluttered with the vids I’m no longer editing? Somehow bring them down from the cloud, edit them and return them to the cloud, without leaving anything on my hard drive?
  4. How do I remove photos and videos from my laptop’s hard drive without removing them from the cloud?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Oct 21, 2021 5:49 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2021 2:11 AM

Hi

With optimise turned on, your library will be in the region of 10%-20% of the size of your library in iCloud. There is no way to limit to a maximum space. However, when you sync to an empty library on your new mac, there will be no full size originals downloaded until you actually use them.

When you download an original (eg for edit or export) then it will be retained while it is needed, but will eventually be removed again (thought there is not published information on what actually triggers the removal).

If you are syncing photos with iCloud, then you cannot remove them manually from your mac without also removing them from iCloud. You have to rely on the optimise functionality to remove them as needed.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 22, 2021 2:11 AM in response to Paul Oldewurtel

Hi

With optimise turned on, your library will be in the region of 10%-20% of the size of your library in iCloud. There is no way to limit to a maximum space. However, when you sync to an empty library on your new mac, there will be no full size originals downloaded until you actually use them.

When you download an original (eg for edit or export) then it will be retained while it is needed, but will eventually be removed again (thought there is not published information on what actually triggers the removal).

If you are syncing photos with iCloud, then you cannot remove them manually from your mac without also removing them from iCloud. You have to rely on the optimise functionality to remove them as needed.

iCloud Photo Library and my internal hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.