You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

monterey mail upgrade is STUCK!

I upgraded to Monterey yesterday and my iMac has been stuck in the mail upgrade all night long - cannot open my mac mail app - what is going on? This is a terrible upgrade so far if I cannot get into my mail on my iMac

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 11.5

Posted on Oct 28, 2021 2:52 AM

14 replies

Oct 29, 2021 7:19 AM in response to maryalicefromnashville

Hey maryalicefromnashville

We understand after upgrading to macOS Monterey, you're have't been able to access the Mail app due to it upgrading. If you haven't already, we suggest force quitting the app and then restarting the the computer.

If you continue to have issues, boot into safe mode. Once in safe mode, open the Mail app. If it works, reboot normally to see if it is resolved.

Let us know if any of this helps. Take care.

Oct 30, 2021 5:10 PM in response to maryalicefromnashville

I just tried this and it worked. Go into settings click on Internet Accounts and uncheck all your Mail boxes except iCloud, be sure you uncheck Mail only, leave Contacts, Calendars, etc. as is. Then go back to the Mail Import window and try again. If the window is stuck a restart should clear it, then try again. If it clears as mine did (the mail window appeared) go back to settings and click Internet Accounts and recheck all the Mail boxes and you hopefully you'll be good. I was pleasantly surprised. Good luck!

Nov 20, 2021 9:34 AM in response to jdo_apple

I have the same problem. Nothing I have tried has worked, Mail just hangs on the upgrade screen, been that way for hours now. This upgrade Sucks! It's slowed down a fast IMac and Turned it into a slug of a machine. How do I go back to Big Sur? I have been using Macs for work , for many years, this is without doubt the worse OS to be released. It's not ready and is really slow and annoying, might as well have windows 10, it's that bad!

Jan 5, 2022 12:44 PM in response to martin wells1

Did you replace your boot drive with a 3rd party drive? That will trigger the firmware issue requiring the original Apple drive being installed for the upgrade which includes the firmware. Then you can swap out the Apple drive for the 3rd party drive and install Monterey.

If you still have the original Apple drive in the Mac this post will self destruct in 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, ……………

Nov 20, 2021 9:55 AM in response to martin wells1

martin wells1 wrote:

19,000. It's just started working, after 5 hours of waiting. Having read some other forums, and Apples website info, seems I need to take my Imac to a store, for a firmware upgrade! Seriously, why? I don't have the time and theres not a store, anywhere near me, it's 2 hours to the nearest store! Madness.

When Monterey was installed, any Firmware ( Boot ROM updates ) ) would have been included within the Monterey Installation.

Apple has ceased to offer Firmware ( Boot ROM updates ) Updates as a Standalone for many many years.

There are reports appearing on the ASC Forums regarding failed installation of Monterey on older Qualifying Apple Computers. In most cases this is related to having a NON Apple Original internal drive ?  

The EFI Boot ROM included in Monterey is verifying for Original Apple Drive and if not found , may Balk or fail to upgrade to Monterey. 

Reports indicate the EFI BOOT ROM is Required to Flash the Computer and is a  requirement for a Successful Monterey Installation.

Jan 5, 2022 12:05 PM in response to gdesign14

UPDATE: It only worked a short time and then no more... reverted back to the issues.

------

Previously posted: Thank you gdesign14!!! This worked for me. It did require a restart but now seems to work correctly.

What I did from gdesign14 post: I just tried this and it worked. Go into settings click on Internet Accounts and uncheck all your Mail boxes except iCloud, be sure you uncheck Mail only, leave Contacts, Calendars, etc. as is. Then go back to the Mail Import window and try again. If the window is stuck a restart should clear it, then try again. If it clears as mine did (the mail window appeared) go back to settings and click Internet Accounts and recheck all the Mail boxes and you hopefully you'll be good. I was pleasantly surprised. Good luck!

Mar 18, 2022 4:54 AM in response to maryalicefromnashville

Yes, I upgraded to Monterey a month ago and Mail is now bad in several ways: search takes much longer or doesn't work at all even when you're searching with the full email address for an email the week before, emails appear with no content in them and everything is much slower :/ Please bring the previous version back as it was much better!

monterey mail upgrade is STUCK!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.