You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need a different olumn for abscissa

My spreadsheet has 3 columns of data. I want to make a bar chart with Column B as the abscissa and Column C the values. By default the chart selects Column A as the abscissa. I am unable to figure out how to force Column B as the abscissa. Any ideas how to force Column B to be the abscissa?

Thank you

Posted on Oct 30, 2021 7:08 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2021 2:02 PM

For a bar chart or any of the category charts (not scatter chart), make the chart using column C as the Y data. It will, as you said, use column A for the X axis labels if column A is a header column. The labels will all be "untitled" if the column A is not a header column. Select the chart and go to the X-Axis settings. There is a box there for Label References. Click on it then use Command A to select all the cell references. Delete. While still in the box, go to your table and select the range of X labels in column B. When you hit Enter or the green checkmark, it will break it down into individual cell references like what you saw before.

After:

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 30, 2021 2:02 PM in response to DesertRatR

For a bar chart or any of the category charts (not scatter chart), make the chart using column C as the Y data. It will, as you said, use column A for the X axis labels if column A is a header column. The labels will all be "untitled" if the column A is not a header column. Select the chart and go to the X-Axis settings. There is a box there for Label References. Click on it then use Command A to select all the cell references. Delete. While still in the box, go to your table and select the range of X labels in column B. When you hit Enter or the green checkmark, it will break it down into individual cell references like what you saw before.

After:

Need a different olumn for abscissa

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.