You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macBook Air 13-inch late 2010, macOS update

Hi there,

Can some one help me to update my OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 to a newer version. almost all new apps cannot be installed because of this old version (El Capitan 10.11.6).

Please help.

Thanks,

Malayga

Posted on Nov 18, 2021 2:24 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2021 5:40 AM

malayga wrote:

Hello Woodmeister50,

Thank you for helping me out on this issue.
I will follow your recommendations to instal High Sierra and try to keep as long as I can because this mac is part of the family and still sharp for what I need to do with it, difficult to throw it away :-).

Kind regards,
Malayga

Don't have to throw it away. Let the kids use it and use the new one yourself.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 18, 2021 5:40 AM in response to malayga

malayga wrote:

Hello Woodmeister50,

Thank you for helping me out on this issue.
I will follow your recommendations to instal High Sierra and try to keep as long as I can because this mac is part of the family and still sharp for what I need to do with it, difficult to throw it away :-).

Kind regards,
Malayga

Don't have to throw it away. Let the kids use it and use the new one yourself.

Nov 18, 2021 3:03 AM in response to malayga

From what I can find, High Sierra is the latest operating system that a late 2010 MacBook Air can run.

How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

FWIW, it is still 4 versions older than what is the most current macOS. To update beyond High Sierra, you will beed to buy a new Mac (or at least a newer Mac). Considering that yours is 11 years old, something to seriously consider as it is likely living on borrowed time at this point.

macBook Air 13-inch late 2010, macOS update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.