You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't create a new folder on my Seagate Backup Plus Drive after updating operating system to macOS Big Sur

I recently had to have my MacBook Air hard drive wiped at the Apple store. I backed up everything on my 2 TB Seagate Backup external drive. I'm a photographer so I transfer large files and have been using this drive for years with no problem. Now I can't create a new folder on my Seagate drive, so essentially I cannot transfer any new files to it (or further organize what's already on it). Help! I'm currently running on macOS Big Sur. Everything else is working great and I can still access my images via Lightroom. I just can't organize anything anymore which is an essential part of my workflow. I also can't reformat my Seagate drive because it IS my backup and the files are too large to transfer back to my Mac. What do I do? Is buying another external hard drive my only option to move forward??? I have holiday images I need to edit and deliver to a client ASAP!

MacBook Air

Posted on Dec 1, 2021 9:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2021 4:28 PM

Get Info on the drive in Finder and look at the Format.

If it is NTFS because you never formatted it for use on a Mac, you must have installed the bundled software which allowed macOS to write to the Windows file system format. You would need to find an update to that software (likely provided by Seagate).

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 1, 2021 4:28 PM in response to Tigerfly22

Get Info on the drive in Finder and look at the Format.

If it is NTFS because you never formatted it for use on a Mac, you must have installed the bundled software which allowed macOS to write to the Windows file system format. You would need to find an update to that software (likely provided by Seagate).

Can't create a new folder on my Seagate Backup Plus Drive after updating operating system to macOS Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.