You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS Monterney , special characters on Password not recognized when rebooted, wrong keyboard language displayed

Short: I used to log on a password with a special character "^" (circumflex) standalone in it. When my A2337 came with factory OS, this was working fine until I updated to 12.0.1 yesterday.

I couldn't log in, language/keyboard changes to remap the circumflex doesnt help. The only way around was to reboot the Mac in safe mode, choose reinstall, then enter the password after being asked for it (that worked, so my PW was ok) and then aborting the procedure and restart. Then I could enter my password. Working that out has taken a while. Would be easier if the typed characters could be previewed.

I also notice that the language was German but the keyboard layout shows first as US Keyboard in the bar but when I click on that to change it, it shows German Keyboard although nothing changed.

This happened also for logging in to my older intel Macbook after standby when updated to OS 10.15.7. , so it is a OS issue, not an

At the Moment, I changed my PW to get around this. Feels a bit unsafe, considering drive encryption and having a Mac which decides on its own not to accept correct typed passwords on.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 3, 2021 1:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2021 2:23 AM

You can make the selection of keyboard layout available at login time.

In System Preferences->Users & Groups, click "Login Options". Click the padlock to authenticate, then check the box for

"Show input menu in login window":

Similar questions

2 replies

Dec 3, 2021 4:41 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thank you for replying quickly.

In my case changing input menu was just not possible because I needed to login before, it was deactivated by default. Its good to check that before updating but I didn't anticipate different character handling at essential inputs after system updates.

During testing other things, I experienced different circumflex handling when password hiding is activated. When I type with password shown, all characters will be okay but if I use eg. KeepassXC with hidden password entry, enter the password and then undoing the hiding: a space is seen where the circumflex was expected.

Don't know if this is specific because it happened also on third party software but if it uses UI libs from Apple, it seems to indicate a bug in them and it correlates with the login experience.

OS Monterney , special characters on Password not recognized when rebooted, wrong keyboard language displayed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.