You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading from Microsoft 365 personal to Microsoft 365 family

I have got a running subscription for Microsoft 365 personal on my MacBook Air, and I would like to upgrade to Microsoft 365 family..Is this possible?..If yes..What is the process....

I contacted Microsoft and they said since I got the 365 package through the app store, apple is to sort it out. Apple on the other hand is saying it is a Microsoft product so they cannot be of help...Really weird.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 8, 2021 3:20 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2021 11:12 AM

Hello Phil,

Thank you very much for your response.

Following your instructions, when I get into edit 365, the only option I see is 365 personnel.

There isn't a 365 family option. I do not know what else to do.

9 replies

Dec 9, 2021 9:02 AM in response to kalada210

I found this from Microsoft: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/how-can-i-upgrade-from-a-microsoft-365-personal-to-family-subscription-4d0b55b4-9e89-4439-8f92-8727446297b8

It would seem you need to cancel it, wait for it to expire, and then the Family Option will appear there to be chosen. Not sure why they make it so difficult. Most other 3rd party subscriptions can be changed directly without having to cancel them before hand.

Dec 8, 2021 10:17 AM in response to kalada210

Yes, it's possible.

how you need to do it, depends on how it was activated.

If the subscription is tied to your Apple ID, then you can open the Mac App Store, select your account at the bottom left corner, then click on View Information at the top, then scroll down to Subscriptions and click Manage. Find the Office 365 subscription and click on Edit. You should then be able to change your subscription type to the Family Option there.

If your subscription is paid directly to Microsoft on your Microsoft account, then you need to log in to your account at Microsoft.com, and make the change there. Link-> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/upgrade-microsoft-365-family

Upgrading from Microsoft 365 personal to Microsoft 365 family

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.