You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sometimes selects cell, sometimes curser inside cell

Working in Numbers (Version 11.2) spreadsheet, macOS Big Sur Version 11.6

Bounces randomly between the two following results when I click on a cell:

The cell itself is selected

or.....

Inside the cell is selected with the cursor blinking.

How can I make both of these separate circumstances predictable when clicking on a cell?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.6

Posted on Dec 9, 2021 8:19 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2021 10:50 PM

Hi Z'

Not sure what you mean by "SINGLE click, FAST"

I suspect, though that you may be getting some bounce in the mouse button or mechanical click of the track pad, which your Mac is reading as a double click.

Regards,

Barry

7 replies

Dec 9, 2021 10:21 PM in response to SGIII

SG has described the most likely cause of the unexpected results you have experienced.

Here's a bit more information.

A double click (two clicks in quick succession) on the same cell will place the insertion point in the selected cell, but 'quick succession' is not necessary.

One click on a cell selects the cell.

A second click on the cell while it is selected places the insertion point in the cell.

IF your intent is to place a formula in that cell:

One click selects the cell.

Pressing = opens the Formula Editor, with the insertion point in the editor.

Two clicks on the cell select the cell and place the insertion point in the cell.

Typing (or pressing) = opens the Formula editor as above.

Regards,

Barry

Dec 11, 2021 9:30 PM in response to Barry

I'm noticing that what you are saying for single and double clicks, works, if clicked SLOWLY.

Observing more closely, DOUBLE clicking FAST on a cell, ALWAYS shows the cursor in the cell as it should.

However, when I SINGLE click, FAST, randomly, on cells, that's when I sometimes get a cursor in the cell and sometimes just the cell.

Sometimes selects cell, sometimes curser inside cell

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.