You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey extremely slow

Since upgrading to Monterey, any internet operation is slow - painfully slow. Can take several minutes to load a page in Safari or update the Notes through iCloud. I have tried all the the advice e.g. resetting SMC. NVRAM, emptying cache, etc apart from downgrading to Big Sur as this seems a drastic step.

Getting this line return in took one minute!

When are Apple going to release an update to Monterey which will address this issue?

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 10, 2021 2:43 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2021 10:32 AM

To further previous posting regarding CleanMyMac - the first 600 posting on the ASC Forums as a testament to the damages this application can and will cause the OS. It may even require Reinstallation after it is removed as per Developers Instructions

https://discussions.apple.com/search?q=cleanmymac

7 replies

Dec 10, 2021 7:02 AM in response to DaveMonterey

Is the issue Only Speed of internet ?

Point # 2 - Are there any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Un-installers, etc installed which should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are useless, unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS and may even Corrupt the OS requiring a Reinstallation.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

Point # 2 A - Commercial VPNs should only be used if Mandated by Corporate Head Office for working remotely. Otherwise - ones Privacy and Security touted by the VPN is suspect.

Dec 12, 2021 9:35 AM in response to DaveMonterey

Clean my Mac has been known to cause problem. Such apps are not needed too. I would uninstall them using the developer's instructions.

You just installed Monterey yesterday and after an upgrade the new OS has to disk indexing and other things which slow the computer. I can see this since MDworker is taking CPU and that is the Spotlight search indexing.

Is Disk0/1 you startup disk? It is internal?

disk0 - CT1000BX500SSD1 1.00 TB (Solid State - TRIM: No)

Internal SATA 6 Gigabit Serial ATA

disk0s1 134 MB

disk0s2 - EFI (MS-DOS FAT32) [EFI] 210 MB

disk0s3 [APFS Container] 980.00 GB

disk1 [APFS Virtual drive] 980.00 GB (Shared by 6 volumes)

disk1s1 (APFS) [Core Storage Container] (Shared - 15.69 GB used)

disk1s1s1 - Macintosh HD (APFS) (Shared - 15.69 GB used)

disk1s2 - Preboot (APFS) [APFS Preboot] (Shared - 312 MB used)

disk1s3 - Recovery (APFS) [Recovery] (Shared - 1.10 GB used)

disk1s4 - VM (APFS) [APFS VM] (Shared - 9.66 GB used)

disk1s5 - Macintosh HD - Data (APFS) [APFS Virtual drive] (Shared - 313.79 GB used)

disk1s6 - Update (APFS) (Shared - 2 MB used)

1. I note that TRIM is not enabled and that can slow disk operations. Etrecheck notes:

SSD too slow - SSD is showing poor performance.

Did you replace the original disk?

What is this disk:

disk7s1 - Macintosh HD

980.00 GB (Shared - 15.69 GB used, 729.79 GB free)

APFS

Mount point: /Volumes/M************1

Owners enabled: No

Read-only: Yes

disk7s5 - Macintosh HD - Data

980.00 GB (Shared - 224.31 GB used, 729.81 GB available, 729.79 GB free)

APFS

Mount point: /Volumes/Macintosh HD - Data

Owners enabled: No

I ask since a disk titled Macintosh HD is usually the startup disk.

Dec 10, 2021 7:11 AM in response to DaveMonterey

Download and run this app so wee can find more information about your installation.

https://etrecheck.com/upgradeIt shows what is launched and other information and is very useful in finding causes of problems. After you first launch the app make sure you check Enable full disk access in the box in lower left.

After running the app use the app's feature to paste to clipboard. The in the text box for a reply in this forum click on the addition text icon. This is because the normal reply text box limits how much you can type.

No personal identifiable information is contained if the app output. The app was written for a person who is contributor to these Apple Support Communities

Dec 12, 2021 2:20 PM in response to lllaass

Thanks for your help. I installed Monterey over a month ago and since was painfully slow. iMac was installed with a mechanical drive which was quite slow. Upgrading to Monterey from Big Sur slowed it down even further. I upgraded the mechanical drive to an SSD which improved performance for anything except network operations.

I enabled TRIM on the SSD - which seems to have helped alongside removing CleanMyMac.

These two actions have seemed to restore performance.

Monterey extremely slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.