You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery replacement for obsolete Mac

Any recommendations for where to get an Apple obsolete product serviced? I have a Mid 2012 11" MacBook Air with battery cycle count of 726 and condition 'Service battery'. The laptop works well still, but I no longer need it and am failing to find a buyer online. Figured I'd handle the repair on my end to increase interest. Was disappointed to find Apple no longer supports service on these products :( Thanks.

Posted on Dec 31, 2021 12:18 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2021 4:10 PM

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.

Even though your Mac is obsolete (Obtaining service for your Apple product after an expired warranty - Apple Support), Apple does say this:

Service and parts may be obtained for longer, as required by law or for up to 7 years, subject to parts availability. Additionally, Mac notebooks may be eligible for an extended battery-only repair period for up to 10 years from when the product was last distributed for sale, subject to parts availability.

So, your Mac can be serviced for the battery only. Get started here: Get Support.

Also, only go to Apple, an Apple Authorized Service Provider, or send your device to Apple for service (if applicable or available). Do not go to a 3rd party or attempt a repair yourself. This is for the assurance of authorized and professional repairs that use genuine Apple parts. Please refer to this from Apple Support:

Beware of counterfeit parts
Some counterfeit and third party power adapters and batteries may not be designed properly and could result in safety issues. To ensure you receive a genuine Apple battery during a battery replacement, we recommend visiting an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. If you need a replacement adapter to charge your Apple device, we recommend getting an Apple power adapter.
Also non-genuine replacement displays may have compromised visual quality and may fail to work correctly. Apple-certified screen repairs are performed by trusted experts who use genuine Apple parts.

Jack

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 31, 2021 4:10 PM in response to RoofersToofers

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.

Even though your Mac is obsolete (Obtaining service for your Apple product after an expired warranty - Apple Support), Apple does say this:

Service and parts may be obtained for longer, as required by law or for up to 7 years, subject to parts availability. Additionally, Mac notebooks may be eligible for an extended battery-only repair period for up to 10 years from when the product was last distributed for sale, subject to parts availability.

So, your Mac can be serviced for the battery only. Get started here: Get Support.

Also, only go to Apple, an Apple Authorized Service Provider, or send your device to Apple for service (if applicable or available). Do not go to a 3rd party or attempt a repair yourself. This is for the assurance of authorized and professional repairs that use genuine Apple parts. Please refer to this from Apple Support:

Beware of counterfeit parts
Some counterfeit and third party power adapters and batteries may not be designed properly and could result in safety issues. To ensure you receive a genuine Apple battery during a battery replacement, we recommend visiting an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. If you need a replacement adapter to charge your Apple device, we recommend getting an Apple power adapter.
Also non-genuine replacement displays may have compromised visual quality and may fail to work correctly. Apple-certified screen repairs are performed by trusted experts who use genuine Apple parts.

Jack

Jan 21, 2022 5:04 PM in response to Jack-19

So I went to the Apple Store in Fashion Valley (San Diego, CA), with the exact same issue (battery replacement for Mid 2012 MacBook Air. The store rep indicated there was no option for him to service the battery, and that they are not able to work on obsolete products (no exceptions, even for battery service).

He apologized for the inconvenience. I only wish there had been a way for Apple to tell me this before making the trip to the store. I had contacted online support and they indicated it was still possible and recommended I schedule the appointment.

Good luck on the after-market or apple authorized servicers, much like Obi-Wan, they are our only hope.

Battery replacement for obsolete Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.