You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If phone is ip68 rated what does that really mean and what are your rights if it is damaged by a splash of water?

If phone is rated and is damaged by a splash of water then surely it should not be ip68 rated - and if it cant then that should mean there is a breach in consumer protection and you can claim for it to be repaired or replaced?

Posted on Jan 6, 2022 9:14 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2022 9:28 AM

It means that it's rated for that under specific (i.e. laboratory) conditions and that it's not guaranteed to stay that way. It means that they simply won't repair a device under warranty just because water got in.

I'd think of it like body armor, motorcycle helmets, or a bear canister. The manufacturer can make specific claims about its design and construction. But in the end they say that there's no guarantee that the user won't be injured or the product won't be breached.

They use the equivalent of double-sided adhesive tape to make the seal. That's not going to last forever and Apple makes it clear in their warranty terms that it doesn't cover liquid damage.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 6, 2022 9:28 AM in response to MrsWillow

It means that it's rated for that under specific (i.e. laboratory) conditions and that it's not guaranteed to stay that way. It means that they simply won't repair a device under warranty just because water got in.

I'd think of it like body armor, motorcycle helmets, or a bear canister. The manufacturer can make specific claims about its design and construction. But in the end they say that there's no guarantee that the user won't be injured or the product won't be breached.

They use the equivalent of double-sided adhesive tape to make the seal. That's not going to last forever and Apple makes it clear in their warranty terms that it doesn't cover liquid damage.

Jan 6, 2022 9:48 AM in response to KiltedTim

KiltedTim wrote:

Nope. There is no "breach in consumer protection".

It is splash and water resistant. That is not a permanent condition.
Testing and certification is done under controlled laboratory conditions.
No device rated at less than 50 meters of water resistance should ever be submerged.
Unfortunately, the general public doesn't understand how these ratings work. They are very similar to the ratings used to classify water resistance on watches, and when a $20,000 Rolex Submariner rated for 600 meters or more is liquid damaged, it is NOT covered by the warranty.

Watches meant for swimming are typically overengineered for the specific conditions and will contain rubber seals. My Casio 50M WR watch from the 80s had instructions that I could swim in a fresh water pool, but not below a certain depth and don't press the buttons. But my G-Shock 200M WR came with instructions that it was OK to go deeper or even press the buttons underwater.

However, Apple actually seems to encourage users to swim with their Apple Watches, but strongly discourage getting an iPhone wet. But yeah they say that it's not guaranteed.

Swim with your Apple Watch - Apple Support

About Apple Watch water resistance - Apple Support

Jan 6, 2022 9:24 AM in response to MrsWillow

Nope. There is no "breach in consumer protection".

It is splash and water resistant. That is not a permanent condition.

Testing and certification is done under controlled laboratory conditions.

No device rated at less than 50 meters of water resistance should ever be submerged.

Unfortunately, the general public doesn't understand how these ratings work. They are very similar to the ratings used to classify water resistance on watches, and when a $20,000 Rolex Submariner rated for 600 meters or more is liquid damaged, it is NOT covered by the warranty.

Jan 6, 2022 9:25 AM in response to MrsWillow

6 - complete protection from duct

8 - protection for immersion under pressure for a period of time.

Guides like https://info.waytekwire.com/blog/ip-code-2/ are helpful

Those ratings are under ideal conditions and do degrade over time; really it's just a guide for consumers. But, electronics and water are not the best combination. iPhones (newer ones) are water-resistant, not water-proof. Still any crack, break, etc. can allow water in.

Water damage is not covered under claims

If phone is ip68 rated what does that really mean and what are your rights if it is damaged by a splash of water?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.