You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to update my location on my MacBook Air

I used to live in Chicago but have not lived there for over 7 years. Many of the web sites I use, including Apple, think that I still live in the Chicago area. How do I eliminate this feature?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 9, 2022 12:43 PM

2 replies

Jan 9, 2022 2:05 PM in response to Noles7176

Short answer: you don't.

Longer answer: Having no geolocation capability whatsoever, your Mac has no idea where it is. Its location is that of the router to which it's connected.

Like your Mac, your router has geolocation capability and no idea where it is either. So how is your Mac's location known?

The answer is by correlating its location to iPhones that connect to your wireless router. Unlike routers and Macs, iPhones always know where they are. Those locations are collected and stored in a database Apple maintains and eventually updates. How long that takes is anyone's guess. At present, Apple still thinks your router is in the Chicago area.

how to update my location on my MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.