You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.9.5 software won’T install new one

Hi, I am trying to get new software. now I have 10.9.5 and when i try to search in App Store for Catalina or other it won’t find it. What can I do please? Thank you

Posted on Jan 11, 2022 1:13 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2022 1:27 AM

nikoleta64 Said:

"10.9.5 software won’T install new one: Hi, I am trying to get new software. now I have 10.9.5 and when i try to search in App Store for Catalina or other it won’t find it. What can I do please? Thank you"

-------

Updating 10.9.5-to-10.15

You wont get Catalina on a Mac made for with 10.9.5. This is because it does not have the hardware requirements for it. However, verify all of this by referring to the following.

Verify Compatibility:

A. Start Here: Learn About Compatibility and how to Identify your Specific Mac Model - Apple Support

B. How to Verify:

I. Reveal your Model:

What is the Model of your Mac? To find out...

1. Go to: Apple menu
  2. Click: About this Mac
  3. View: Second Line-Down

then...

II. Compare the Results:

See if the Model you found is shown here:

III. If Compatible:

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 11, 2022 1:27 AM in response to nikoleta64

nikoleta64 Said:

"10.9.5 software won’T install new one: Hi, I am trying to get new software. now I have 10.9.5 and when i try to search in App Store for Catalina or other it won’t find it. What can I do please? Thank you"

-------

Updating 10.9.5-to-10.15

You wont get Catalina on a Mac made for with 10.9.5. This is because it does not have the hardware requirements for it. However, verify all of this by referring to the following.

Verify Compatibility:

A. Start Here: Learn About Compatibility and how to Identify your Specific Mac Model - Apple Support

B. How to Verify:

I. Reveal your Model:

What is the Model of your Mac? To find out...

1. Go to: Apple menu
  2. Click: About this Mac
  3. View: Second Line-Down

then...

II. Compare the Results:

See if the Model you found is shown here:

III. If Compatible:

Jan 11, 2022 6:43 AM in response to nikoleta64

Back up your data, check your applications for compatibility, and depending on which Mac model you have, click on El Capitan, High Sierra, Mojave, or Catalina. Intermediate OS versions won't show up when searching the App Store.

Catalina and newer won't run 32-bit software; download and use Go64 to scan for it. To check other programs, click here and look them up.

TheLittles: A Mac which originally shipped with 10.9.5 can be upgraded at least as far as Catalina.

(211813)

Jan 14, 2022 4:53 PM in response to nikoleta64

TheLittles Said:

"Hi, thanks a lot again.: i went through all the steps before and now again. Mac that I have can have all the latest updates from maverick up to Catalina. [...]I’ve also seen a video that I can do it over the terminal, but when I search for terminal also not found. Just wiki and Apple info about what terminal is. No black box comes up."

-------

You are welcome.

Two Things:

A. Where to Get Catalina:

Get Catalina Here: macOS Catalina - App Store

and...

B. About Using Terminal:

I assume what you were reading about is using a USB Bootable Installer. Go here for creating and making one of those: How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Important - Backup your Mac:

Where to Start: Be certain that you create a Time Machine backup of your Mac, prior to making any major change to it (This upgrade), so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong from here on out. Once all is installed, create another backup. Use one hard drive to these backups (as long as it is a large enough hard drive, all would work just fine.

Jan 11, 2022 5:47 AM in response to TheLittles

Thank you so much, really appreciate it.

i tried this all already. I tried as well to search the other than Catalina softwares in App Store but it won’t find any. Just the new one which would not work with my Mac.

So my Mac would install the Catalina or any lower softwares it is just I cannot find it anywhere. Either the Terminal cannot be opened on Mac to do the command.

Jan 14, 2022 2:18 PM in response to TheLittles

Hi, thanks a lot again.

i went through all the steps before and now again. Mac that I have can have all the latest updates from maverick up to Catalina. Problem is that if I search for it even in App Store ( as I watched video on YouTube) it does not find any of them. Only the new one that cannot be installed on my Mac. I think there might be something else wrong but have no idea what.

10.9.5 software won’T install new one

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.