You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail will not launch

I'm having a problem with Mail app. It will not launch. Just get a spinner and I have to force quit it eventually. The main mail window never appears.

I have restarted which does not fix the issue.

Running Big Sur 11.6.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jan 18, 2022 12:38 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2022 6:08 PM

The next thing would be to delete the Mail Container.

Look in ~/Library/Containers for the first item named Mail. Get info on it and make sure the name and extension says com.apple.mail. Delete that folder. If it isn't com.apple.mail, select one of the others and repeat until it is the correct one.

Try starting again.

The final try would be to delete the Mail folder from ~/Library.

~/Library is your user Library and you can get into it by holding down the Option key and select Library from the Go menu in Finder.

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 18, 2022 6:08 PM in response to Gary Looft

The next thing would be to delete the Mail Container.

Look in ~/Library/Containers for the first item named Mail. Get info on it and make sure the name and extension says com.apple.mail. Delete that folder. If it isn't com.apple.mail, select one of the others and repeat until it is the correct one.

Try starting again.

The final try would be to delete the Mail folder from ~/Library.

~/Library is your user Library and you can get into it by holding down the Option key and select Library from the Go menu in Finder.

Jan 18, 2022 4:02 PM in response to Gary Looft

Try starting Mail while holding down the Shift key.

That should prevent it from trying to open a mailbox and message.

If it opens, select a mailbox. If it crashes or hangs.

Open again holding down shift key.

Drag the divider between the message list and preview pane all the way to the edge so the preview pane is closed.

Select the same mailbox.

The first message in the mailbox might be corrupted and cause mail to hang or crash.

You can try to open it by double clicking, or try to view it from your email provider's web portal. You may have to move or delete the message to get Mail to work correctly.

Jan 18, 2022 5:57 PM in response to Barney-15E

First, I noticed that Mail is eventually launching. If I let it spin for 4-5 minutes Mail will open. So I quit it and tried again. It took 4-5 minutes again.

I removed the iCloud email account in Internet Accounts, relaunched Mail and once again, it beachballed and it took 4-5 minutes for the Mail window to appear which contained no accounts.

Is there some preference files that should be trashed?

Mail will not launch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.