You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade to Monterey OS

my macbook pro has Catalina macOS. When I try to download Monterey I get a message this update is not available. How do I upgrade to Monterey? Do I have to upgrade to Big Sur first, and then to Monterey? Will it require say 12gb for big sur and another 12gb for Monterey upgrade? I have barely 13 gb space left on HD

Thanks

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 21, 2022 7:53 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2022 10:04 PM

Additionally, 13 GB of empty space will not be enough. You should have a minimum of 20 - 25 GB available at all times - the OS needs room to function properly. And, for Monterey, you will need between 26 to 44 GB of storage for the download and install:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212735

4 replies

Jan 21, 2022 8:17 PM in response to countpro

Upgrade to Monterey OS: "Upgrade to Monterey OS: my macbook pro has Catalina macOS. When I try to download Monterey I get a message this update is not available. How do I upgrade to Monterey?[...]"

Verify macOS Compatibility:

A. Start Here: Learn About Compatibility and how to Identify your Specific Mac Model - Apple Support

B. How to Verify:

I. Reveal your Model:

What is the Model of your Mac? To find out...

1. Go to: Apple menu
  2. Click: About this Mac
  3. View: Second Line-Down

then...

II. Compare the Results:

See if the Model you found is shown here:

III. If Compatible:

Jan 21, 2022 8:20 PM in response to countpro

Upgrade to Monterey OS: "[...]Do I have to upgrade to Big Sur first, and then to Monterey? Will it require say 12gb for big sur and another 12gb for Monterey upgrade? I have barely 13 gb space left on HD"

-------

No. You do not have to upgrade to Bug Sur first. Remove large items (i.e. Movies, TV Shows, and Virtual Machines), if you want to save space. Once removed, restart your Mac, and then proceed with the upgrade.

Back Up your Mac First:  Be certain you Create a Time Machine Backup of your Mac, so that way you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reconfiguration.

Upgrade to Monterey OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.