You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you export a video as a MP4 in iMovie? I don't get that option. I'm on Big Sur with iMovie 10.3.1

I see that you can't save an edited video in Photos as a MP4. I read that you could in iMovie, but in share>file> there is no option to save it as a MP4. It saves as a .mov file.

It seems like I can convert it using QuickTime to export it as a MP4, but will there be any loss of quality?

It seems like iPhoto and iMovie should both have the option of export/save as MP4.

Well... I just found a video online where a guy says iMovie only saves video as MP4 depending on the quality; high quality is MP4 and best quality is .mov. Shouldn't that be stated somewhere?

Posted on Jan 31, 2022 8:29 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2022 9:36 PM

The video is mostly correct. At all settings iMovie exports as Mp4/AAC, except at the Best Quality (pro res) setting, which yields a .mov file about 4 times larger than an Mp4.

— Rich

1 reply

How do you export a video as a MP4 in iMovie? I don't get that option. I'm on Big Sur with iMovie 10.3.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.