You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 3rd gen light blinks but remote fails to work

Hi. I’m trying to get my Apple TV remote to do something more than just make the light flash. Tried a reboot of the unit and no change. Tried unsuccessfully to unpair and pair remote no change. We have since updated our WiFi and cannot navigate to the Apple TV settings. Tried plugging unit directly into Ethernet and the unit boots up normally. Nothing I do with the remote seems to do anything on the tv screen. Only the white LED flashes. Tried replacing battery in remote- no different. Tried controlling with remote on my iphoneX and it recognizes the unit, allows you to select but still none of the remote features work. Without a remote I do not know how to check current software version. I’ve spent 2 hours reading similar issues and posts and nothing works.

Apple TV

Posted on Feb 9, 2022 4:45 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2022 2:49 PM

Thanks. The light stays continually lit when powered up and ready for user input. The light blinks in response to a button being pressed on the remote but nothing changes. It does all the usual things except any response from its remote control. Simply no navigation to any feature. Also no noise associated with remote buttons being pressed , just the momentary flashing of the light.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 10, 2022 2:49 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Thanks. The light stays continually lit when powered up and ready for user input. The light blinks in response to a button being pressed on the remote but nothing changes. It does all the usual things except any response from its remote control. Simply no navigation to any feature. Also no noise associated with remote buttons being pressed , just the momentary flashing of the light.

Feb 11, 2022 3:04 AM in response to annerobbo

The light blinks in response to a button being pressed on the remote but nothing changes.

That is expected, even for unlinked remotes. It acknowledges that a signal is received, but it will only listen to linked remotes. Try to link again, as outlined on the support page that rkaufmann87 provided (2nd half of the page). Do both steps: first the unlinking, then the re-linking.

Apple TV 3rd gen light blinks but remote fails to work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.