You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Phone in "silent mode" but an embedded video on a web page still played (loudly!)

Hardware: iPhone 11, current iOS.

When you flip the switch to put the phone in "silent mode," well, it should be silent! But when I accidentally tapped an embedded video on a web page in Safari, the sound from the video still played.

This is a low-priority "bug," but I still consider it to be a "bug." That switch should categorically disable "all sound output, period."

iPhone 11

Posted on Feb 16, 2022 6:43 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2022 12:50 PM

Thanks. I have now put in that official feedback. I really do think that "it is important to church services and symphony performances everywhere" that the silent-mode switch should work ... without excuses ... all the time. Exactly as advertised. If this switch is turned on, the phone should never make noise.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 17, 2022 12:50 PM in response to jdo_apple

Thanks. I have now put in that official feedback. I really do think that "it is important to church services and symphony performances everywhere" that the silent-mode switch should work ... without excuses ... all the time. Exactly as advertised. If this switch is turned on, the phone should never make noise.

Feb 17, 2022 8:44 AM in response to Twelve Shades Publications

Hello Twelve Shades Publications,

Thanks you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities about your iPhone and the Ring/Silent switch. We're happy to lend a hand.

It’s good to hear your iPhone has the current iOS 15.3.1 version installed.

What you are experiencing is not a bug. See the article Adjust the volume on iPhone, go to the section “Put iPhone in silent mode”, it says, 

“Important: Clock alarms, audio apps such as Music, and many games play sounds through the built-in speaker, even when silent mode is on.”

You are welcome to leave Apple Product Feedback using this link.

Reach out anytime you have questions.

Have a great day!

Phone in "silent mode" but an embedded video on a web page still played (loudly!)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.