You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot connect with Time Capsule

Hi, I have recently moved house, and upgraded my router.

Since then I have not been able to connect to my Time Capsule.

It has changed !P address so that my be the problem.

How can I updated the Finder with the new IP address?

Thanks

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Feb 24, 2022 1:49 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2022 6:41 AM

Your Time Capsule was programmed with the correct settings to connect to your "old" router. When you connected it to your "new" router, the Time Capsule was still looking for the "old" router because it did not know that the device changed. So, the Time Capsule is lost and does not know what to do.

The solution will be to reset the Time Capsule using a Hard Reset or Factory Default Reset and then set it up again so that it will obtain the correct settings to work with your "new" router.

How to reset your AirPort base station - Apple Support

Then, set up the Time Capsule again using AirPort Utility on your Mac. You can use the same names and password for the Time Capsule if you wish, or set up a new name and password for the Time Capsule.

The bottom line......whenever you change the device to which the Time Capsule connects, you will need to reset and reconfigure the Time Capsule to work correctly with the new device.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 24, 2022 6:41 AM in response to pgleesonuk

Your Time Capsule was programmed with the correct settings to connect to your "old" router. When you connected it to your "new" router, the Time Capsule was still looking for the "old" router because it did not know that the device changed. So, the Time Capsule is lost and does not know what to do.

The solution will be to reset the Time Capsule using a Hard Reset or Factory Default Reset and then set it up again so that it will obtain the correct settings to work with your "new" router.

How to reset your AirPort base station - Apple Support

Then, set up the Time Capsule again using AirPort Utility on your Mac. You can use the same names and password for the Time Capsule if you wish, or set up a new name and password for the Time Capsule.

The bottom line......whenever you change the device to which the Time Capsule connects, you will need to reset and reconfigure the Time Capsule to work correctly with the new device.

Cannot connect with Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.