You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to update latest software for iPod 3rd generation Touch. When I go to Settings>General> there is no Software Update option listed?

Trying to update latest software for iPod 3rd generation Touch. When I go to Settings>General> there is no Software Update option listed? Trying to hook to older Mac to download some music and it tells me I need to update software.

iPod Touch (3rd Gen)

Posted on Feb 28, 2022 4:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2022 10:42 AM

kareebo wrote:

Trying to update latest software for iPod 3rd generation Touch. When I go to Settings>General> there is no Software Update option listed? Trying to hook to older Mac to download some music and it tells me I need to update software.

If it states that your ipod is up to date, then there is no update for it.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 28, 2022 10:42 AM in response to kareebo

kareebo wrote:

If it states that your ipod is up to date, then there is no update for it.

Feb 28, 2022 11:02 AM in response to kareebo

If I recall correctly, it was never possible to update the 3rd generation iPod Touch directly on the Touch, it had to be done through iTunes.

However, it's more than likely that your iPod is already on the highest version of iOS that it can use. If you have:

• a 2nd generation iPod Touch, it can only go as high as iOS 4.2.1
    • a 3rd generation iPod Touch, it can only go as high as iOS 5.1.1
    • a 4th generation iPod Touch, it can only go as high as iOS 6.1.6

Trying to update latest software for iPod 3rd generation Touch. When I go to Settings>General> there is no Software Update option listed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.