You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete photo after importing to iMac

I used to have a “delete from iphone” button so that my photos would be deleted after I imported them.

can anyone help me with this?

-Phil

Posted on Mar 3, 2022 11:57 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2022 12:10 AM

Even if "delete after Import" is there, do not use it. Quite a few users lost their photos because of it.

The problem is, that the photos will be erased from your iPhone, before you can check, if the import has been completed correctly. In rare occasions, the Mac could crash, before the imported photos have been saved in your Photos Library, but have already been deleted from the iPhone. Or the photos may have been imported with transmission errors and the image files are damaged and useless. And when you notice it, the files have already been deleted from the iPhone.

It is much safer to wait until you have made the first backup of the imported photos, and then use Image Capture to delete the photos from the iPhone.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 4, 2022 12:10 AM in response to Phil2017

Even if "delete after Import" is there, do not use it. Quite a few users lost their photos because of it.

The problem is, that the photos will be erased from your iPhone, before you can check, if the import has been completed correctly. In rare occasions, the Mac could crash, before the imported photos have been saved in your Photos Library, but have already been deleted from the iPhone. Or the photos may have been imported with transmission errors and the image files are damaged and useless. And when you notice it, the files have already been deleted from the iPhone.

It is much safer to wait until you have made the first backup of the imported photos, and then use Image Capture to delete the photos from the iPhone.

Delete photo after importing to iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.