You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Opening movies digitized i iMovie 9 with iMovie 10

I have the updated version of iMovie 10.3.1. Several years ago I imported tons of family video using a capture device that automatically imported them into iMovie 9. At some point in the process some also got into iMovie 10. Can't remember why now. Today I finally found them in my movies folder in my "Home".. iMovie 9 is just a dead icon at this point. I tried to open one. It opened in Quick time with audio and no video. Then I tried opening it with iMovie 10 but the selection is "greyed" out. What do I need to do. (It is timely as I want to have the video for a friend's memorial severe in two weeks. I am doing this on my Mac Book Pro that the video was originally imported to.

Vincent

Posted on Mar 16, 2022 8:53 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2022 9:14 AM

Look in your Movies folder and see if you have a folder titled iMovie Events. That would be an iMovie 9 folder. It should be there unless you moved or deleted it. Your iMovie 9 videos should be in there, and you can copy (not move) them out. If the videos originally were imported and played with audio and video, they should still play fine now.

I'm not clear as to exactly what procedures that you followed to get "some" of the videos into iMovie 10 and what you mean when you say that you finally found them in your "Home" movies folder, or what steps you followed to try to open them in iMovie 10 but found some kind of selection greyed out. Could you provide more details and perhaps a screen shot of what you are seeing.

-- Rich

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 16, 2022 9:14 AM in response to VJV65

Look in your Movies folder and see if you have a folder titled iMovie Events. That would be an iMovie 9 folder. It should be there unless you moved or deleted it. Your iMovie 9 videos should be in there, and you can copy (not move) them out. If the videos originally were imported and played with audio and video, they should still play fine now.

I'm not clear as to exactly what procedures that you followed to get "some" of the videos into iMovie 10 and what you mean when you say that you finally found them in your "Home" movies folder, or what steps you followed to try to open them in iMovie 10 but found some kind of selection greyed out. Could you provide more details and perhaps a screen shot of what you are seeing.

-- Rich

Opening movies digitized i iMovie 9 with iMovie 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.