You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why bother locking icloud notes?

hi all :)

is there any point in locking any of my icloud notes if i am the only one who uses my macs and iphones?

i have a password i've set to be required to bring my macs out of sleep, and a passcode set to be required to unlock my iphones.

so since no one can open my computers or phones, why would i also need to lock my icloud notes?

thanks for any insight on this issue, it's truly appreciated!

MacBook Air 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Mar 21, 2022 11:22 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2022 11:43 PM

Locking notes with sensitive information will help, if you have notes open in the background while someone else is near you.

Many cases, where someone could break into a computer network or access sensitive data happened, when someone has been in the same room as the user and the user got distracted by a phone call or similar. For a short time the user turned the back to the display, while someone else could use the currently unlocked device. Usually it will take a few minutes, before the screensaver will kick in and protect the screen.

Or, if you are showing photos to someone and the person grabs the phone, they could easily bring up the notes, if they are not locked.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 21, 2022 11:43 PM in response to coatli

Locking notes with sensitive information will help, if you have notes open in the background while someone else is near you.

Many cases, where someone could break into a computer network or access sensitive data happened, when someone has been in the same room as the user and the user got distracted by a phone call or similar. For a short time the user turned the back to the display, while someone else could use the currently unlocked device. Usually it will take a few minutes, before the screensaver will kick in and protect the screen.

Or, if you are showing photos to someone and the person grabs the phone, they could easily bring up the notes, if they are not locked.

why bother locking icloud notes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.