You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch ID is missing from System Preferences

Touch ID just stopped working on my 24" iMac (Monterey 12.2.1). I checked System Preferences but all Touch ID options were greyed out and I couldn't change anything. I thought I would delete the fingerprint I had been using and start again. After deleting the fingerprint and reopening System Preferences I now find that the Touch ID icon is not appearing there. I rebooted the Mac but it still doesn't show. How do I get back?

Posted on Mar 25, 2022 2:12 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2022 1:11 AM

Thanks Mal-S. I wasn't aware Mac OS 12.3 was available yet. Unfortunately, updating didn't restore Touch ID but it did get me checking further. It seems that the iMac had somehow "Lost" the details of my Magic Keyboard although it was still connected. I tried to establish the Bluetooth connection with the keyboard but it couldn't find it. So I turned off the keyboard, waited briefly for the Mac to realise the connection was lost, then switched it back on again. The Mac found the Bluetooth keyboard and I confirmed it, then, Voila!, the Touch ID pane opened to set up a fingerprint. Seems to be working fine again.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 26, 2022 1:11 AM in response to Mal-S

Thanks Mal-S. I wasn't aware Mac OS 12.3 was available yet. Unfortunately, updating didn't restore Touch ID but it did get me checking further. It seems that the iMac had somehow "Lost" the details of my Magic Keyboard although it was still connected. I tried to establish the Bluetooth connection with the keyboard but it couldn't find it. So I turned off the keyboard, waited briefly for the Mac to realise the connection was lost, then switched it back on again. The Mac found the Bluetooth keyboard and I confirmed it, then, Voila!, the Touch ID pane opened to set up a fingerprint. Seems to be working fine again.

Touch ID is missing from System Preferences

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.