You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time to leave sometimes gives me option to choose travel method and sometimes doesnt

So today I set up two new events in my calendar app on my iPhone (running iOS 15.4). For both, entered location data in to the "Location or Video Call" field.

I set "Time to leave" notifications for both. For one, it gave me the option to choose my travel type so i was able to set walking, as I do not own a car. The second one, it just auto selected car as my travel type and there is no way to change it.

Is this a glitch in iOS or is there a method to adding addresses in calendar that lets you choose the travel type? Both places are listed as contacts in my app. and i can't find anything different between how the two were entered in the calendar app, so I am a bit confused. thanks!

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Apr 1, 2022 9:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2022 7:50 AM

Hi panoptic,

If you'd like you'd like to be able to have the option to set your travel type to "Walking" in the Calendar app for use with the Time to Leave feature, these steps might help.

This feature for Calendar integrates with the Maps app. Let's check your Maps settings. What is your default mode of travel set to?

Maps defaults to your preferred way to travel when providing directions. To change your preference, do the following:

1. In Maps, tap your picture or initials at the top right of the search card, then tap Preferences.
If you don’t see your picture or initials, tap Cancel next to the search field, or tap the search field, then tap Cancel.2. Tap Driving, Walking, Transit, or Cycling.

This setting can also be found in Settings > Maps. In your case, you'll want to change that setting to "Walking."

This information is in Use Siri, Maps, and the Maps widget to get directions on iPhone.

If the issue remains, let us know how far in advance the calendar event is that you are trying to add.

We hope that helps with your question and take care!

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 4, 2022 7:50 AM in response to panoptic

Hi panoptic,

If you'd like you'd like to be able to have the option to set your travel type to "Walking" in the Calendar app for use with the Time to Leave feature, these steps might help.

This feature for Calendar integrates with the Maps app. Let's check your Maps settings. What is your default mode of travel set to?

Maps defaults to your preferred way to travel when providing directions. To change your preference, do the following:

1. In Maps, tap your picture or initials at the top right of the search card, then tap Preferences.
If you don’t see your picture or initials, tap Cancel next to the search field, or tap the search field, then tap Cancel.2. Tap Driving, Walking, Transit, or Cycling.

This setting can also be found in Settings > Maps. In your case, you'll want to change that setting to "Walking."

This information is in Use Siri, Maps, and the Maps widget to get directions on iPhone.

If the issue remains, let us know how far in advance the calendar event is that you are trying to add.

We hope that helps with your question and take care!

Apr 7, 2022 12:08 PM in response to panoptic

Hello all. i figured this out. the starting location was not populated for one of the calendar events for some reason so it defaulted to driving time, which is kind of strange as i dont know how it would populate a time if it didn't know where i was starting from. when i entered that, it allowed me to switch it to walking.

Apr 7, 2022 8:23 AM in response to Alex_Han

Hi, thank you for the information. I did check my Maps and Calendar settings upon first discovery of this, and everything was set to walk. Both of the calendar events were set for the same week. One on tuesday of this week and one on saturday of this week. One was put on the calendar this week (the saturday event) and the other was put on the calendar months ago (maybe in January).

Time to leave sometimes gives me option to choose travel method and sometimes doesnt

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.