You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Airplay to HomePod lo longer working after update to MacOS 12.3.1

I upgraded my MacBook Pro (16", 2021) M1 Max to MacOS 12.3.1 and unfortunately this seems to have broken the ability to playback music from the Music app to my HomePods. No matter if I select the stereo pair in my room or the single speaker in the room next to mine, every time I receive a message after a while that the Airplay device cannot be used for playback and that I should check my network and airplay settings.

These are the things I already checked:

• I also checked if other media player have the same issue; playing audio from an YouTube video in Safari also is not possible and the connection cannot be established.
  • The whole setup was working before the MacOS upgrade!
  • HomePods are all on 15.4.1 and audio Airplay from an iOS device works fine.
  • HomePods have been restarted even with disconnecting the power
  • MacBook has been restarted twice

Any idea, if that can be fixed somehow?

Any ideas what can be done

MacBook, OS X 10.11

Posted on Apr 5, 2022 11:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2022 4:33 AM

OK, there is a solution that probably hints at a defect:

I have my MacBook Pro attached via ethernet with a VLAN capable switch that supports two VLANs; my office VLAN and the private network of my home. The HomePods are in the private VLAN whereas the office VLAN is the default, untagged VLAN provided on that ethernet connection.

I had my home connected via a VLAN connection using the office ethernet connection. When I disabled the VLAN and turned on WIFI to connect to my home network, the Airplay playback worked fine. So it seems as if Airplay does not work across VLAN connections.

Hope this helps anyone out there?

Mathias

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 7, 2022 4:33 AM in response to mkuehn

OK, there is a solution that probably hints at a defect:

I have my MacBook Pro attached via ethernet with a VLAN capable switch that supports two VLANs; my office VLAN and the private network of my home. The HomePods are in the private VLAN whereas the office VLAN is the default, untagged VLAN provided on that ethernet connection.

I had my home connected via a VLAN connection using the office ethernet connection. When I disabled the VLAN and turned on WIFI to connect to my home network, the Airplay playback worked fine. So it seems as if Airplay does not work across VLAN connections.

Hope this helps anyone out there?

Mathias

iTunes Airplay to HomePod lo longer working after update to MacOS 12.3.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.