You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wiping iMac synced to macbook

I have a iMac that is running incredibly slow. I want to wipe it and start fresh. It is synced to my MacBook that runs amazing. If I wipe my iMac will I lose everything on my MacBook as well?

I might not be using the correct terms as I’m not very technologically savvy. I just don’t want to lose everything since both are connected (I think via iCloud?)

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 7, 2022 3:11 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2022 4:06 PM

As mentioned if you are using iCloud on each machine your documents are save on iCloud and not on each machine. There are a lot of advantages to using iCloud for example:

• Storage space on each machine is NOT used.
  • You can view and edit documents on either machine and they will always remain synced.
  • Although iCloud is NOT a backup system it does safeguard your documents if you format one or both of your computers.

By the way, if you are NOT using Time Machine to backup your computers please read Back up your Mac with Time Machine, you will need an external HD (not expensive) to backup each computer. If you are not backing up, please do this is critical to safeguarding ALL of your data.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 7, 2022 4:06 PM in response to anne-marie216

As mentioned if you are using iCloud on each machine your documents are save on iCloud and not on each machine. There are a lot of advantages to using iCloud for example:

• Storage space on each machine is NOT used.
  • You can view and edit documents on either machine and they will always remain synced.
  • Although iCloud is NOT a backup system it does safeguard your documents if you format one or both of your computers.

By the way, if you are NOT using Time Machine to backup your computers please read Back up your Mac with Time Machine, you will need an external HD (not expensive) to backup each computer. If you are not backing up, please do this is critical to safeguarding ALL of your data.

Apr 7, 2022 3:54 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I honestly don’t know. I can see the same files on both computers and the desktops are the same. Some things are different, such as fonts on the desktop are not on my MacBook and vice versa.

I’ve done some internet searching and I think I’m using iCloud to save my documents and desktop. If that’s the case then they will stay in the iCloud even if I wipe the desktop, correct?

Wiping iMac synced to macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.