You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Studio storage upgrade

I have been seeing online that Apple has locked down their storage modules so that they are not user upgradable. I am curious as to the justification for not allowing someone to get a cheaper one with less storage, and either as their storage needs grow or when they save up enough money to buy more capacity let them upgrade. Is there a security reason? Is it technologically impossible to upgrade storage after the fact? Any explanation is helpful.

Posted on Apr 11, 2022 11:39 PM

6 replies

Apr 12, 2022 1:33 AM in response to danielius00

LIkely a security concern since upgrading the storage in the 2019 Mac Pro goes through a long process that involves using another computer and the Configurator app

Install or replace SSD modules in your Mac Pro (2019) - Apple Support

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/apple-configurator-2/id1037126344?mt=12

Also, based on information from the web it appears that the storage modules are not a complete SSD in that they are only the storage chips with the controller being on the logic board. Normally, the controller is in the same package as the storage chips.

Apr 12, 2022 7:23 PM in response to lllaass

Like you said the 2019 Mac Pro has an intel CPU but the 2022 Mac Studio with the M1 which means the controller is baked into the CPU. So then wouldn't it be even safer than when the controller used to be on the SSD to make the storage user upgradable because the storage modules hold nothing but flash chips? I haven't seen anything about it but wouldn't it be impossible to just plug the flash modules from one Mac Studio to the other and be able to read it because the controller is on the chip itself?

Mac Studio storage upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.