You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie doesn't recognize 60fps videos - timeline bug identified

Hey all,

I've been following a few threads regarding this iMovie 60 fps bug both on Apple forums and also a few others.

1. iMovie doesn't recognize my 60 fps video … - Apple Community
  2. iMovie is unable to import 60fps videos t… - Apple Community

I'm well aware that the first clip will determine if its 60 fps or not and after much testing, I've narrowed it down to exactly where the bug is.

When you add 60 fps content to the media library and go to export just 1 clip, it'll export at 60 fps.

But once you add that clip to the timeline, it'll default to 30 fps.

Even when I actually export the video and check the frame rate in Quicktime, its still 30 fps.

This unfortunately doesn't appear to be user error on our parts but is an actual bug with iMovie. I've filed a feedback request but hopefully Apple can fix this since its a huge bummer.

Let me know if anyone has found any work arounds.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 12, 2022 6:13 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Apr 12, 2022 7:29 PM in response to laguna1212

If the clip you are working with is 4k 60fps, iMovie will export it at 30 fps. It is not a bug. iMovie just doesn't support 4k 60 fps exports.

If your clip is 1080 60 fps, it should export fine at 60 fps, if your project has been set at 60 fps by inserting a 60fps clip as the very first clip added to a newly created project.

-- Rich

Apr 12, 2022 11:58 PM in response to laguna1212

Hmmmm. I haven’t tried it, but I would suspect that if one set the project at 1080 60fps, and then imported a 4k 60fps clip, you could share out the movie as 1080 60fps.

If you import a 4k 60fps clip as the first clip, you could share out at 4k 30fps.

It’s a trade off between higher resolution versus higher frame rate.

— Rich

iMovie doesn't recognize 60fps videos - timeline bug identified

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.