You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a faster way to zoom timeline?

The fastest way I know is to hold down command and press the + or - keys . . . usually multiple times.

Is there anything quicker or smoother like in DaVinci Resolve where you simply hold down the Option key whilst moving the mouse scroll wheel?

Is it possible to program FCP X to do this?

Posted on Apr 13, 2022 1:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2022 9:22 AM

For smoother, click the film strip icon (storyline/timeline appearance "setup") and use the zoom control :

I'm not sure if there is any way to connect this action to keyboard or mouse shortcuts.

For quicker, type Z and use the cursor to draw a region/selection you want to zoom into. If you want to zoom out, click in the storyline and drag out a selection (you'll see what I mean) — it's rather fast.

Type A to get back to the Select (default) cursor.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 13, 2022 9:22 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

For smoother, click the film strip icon (storyline/timeline appearance "setup") and use the zoom control :

I'm not sure if there is any way to connect this action to keyboard or mouse shortcuts.

For quicker, type Z and use the cursor to draw a region/selection you want to zoom into. If you want to zoom out, click in the storyline and drag out a selection (you'll see what I mean) — it's rather fast.

Type A to get back to the Select (default) cursor.

Is there a faster way to zoom timeline?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.