You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My clock, bluetooth, wi-fi and other controls disappeared from the menu bar following Monterey update

I tried all the usual places in the control panel. The little illustrated menu bar shows them as being on, but the actual menu bar does not show them. This situation is persistent through a number of restart, including resetting NVRAM.

Everything was working fine before I applied the latest system update to Monterey.

I have a late 2015 iMac, which is old - yes, but has been working well enough and I'd like to keep it.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 15, 2022 8:09 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2022 7:14 PM

I figured out what was causing it. I had been running flux, a third party extension that controls the display color profile depending on the time of day, similar to night shift. Over the past year or so, I had been getting a warning when applying updates. It said that my system was using a component that may not be compatible with a future system update. Well, apparently that day has come. Remembering that warning, I removed 'flux' from my system and rebooted. The problem went away and all the controls now show up in the menu bar. I now use night shift instead. It is more or less equivalent and will not give me any issues, so I am happy with this solution.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 16, 2022 7:14 PM in response to Eric_G1

I figured out what was causing it. I had been running flux, a third party extension that controls the display color profile depending on the time of day, similar to night shift. Over the past year or so, I had been getting a warning when applying updates. It said that my system was using a component that may not be compatible with a future system update. Well, apparently that day has come. Remembering that warning, I removed 'flux' from my system and rebooted. The problem went away and all the controls now show up in the menu bar. I now use night shift instead. It is more or less equivalent and will not give me any issues, so I am happy with this solution.

Apr 16, 2022 10:14 AM in response to opher48

Hello opher48,

If desired options aren't showing in the menu bar, try checking in System Preferences > Dock & Menu Bar.

In here, select the various options, such as Bluetooth, and confirm if the 'Show in Menu Bar' option is enabled.

You can also try checking for some options, like Bluetooth and Wi-Fi within the Control Center. This page helps to go over that feature, if needed: Use Control Center on your Mac

Cheers.

My clock, bluetooth, wi-fi and other controls disappeared from the menu bar following Monterey update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.