You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Enter key won't press

I saw that the enter key on my MacBook Pro was stuck and wouldn't press, I tried removing the key and putting it back but I still get the same results, I don't wanna go to the Apple store to get it fixed just yet cause I'm a college student and have finals coming up this week. Any ideas on how I can get a temporary fix to at least get me thru the next week where I will undoubtedly need to use my computer a lot?

I am thinking of buying an external keyboard but that would be my last resort since they are not cheap especially when you're a college student

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 16, 2022 5:06 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2022 9:32 PM

axelg_ Said:

"Enter key won't press: I saw that the enter key on my MacBook Pro was stuck and wouldn't press, I tried removing the key and putting it back but I still get the same results: [...]I am thinking of buying an external keyboard but that would be my last resort since they are not cheap especially when you're a college student"

-------

Do you mean the return key?

Yes Use an external keyboard.

Using Another Keyboard:

Reset the SMC and your NVRAM

(Applies to Intel-Based Macs Only): Sometimes when changes(i.e. updates) are made to the system, system configurations (i.e. for then keyboard) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. You may need to use this adapter, if no USB-A port exists: USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 16, 2022 9:32 PM in response to axelg_

axelg_ Said:

"Enter key won't press: I saw that the enter key on my MacBook Pro was stuck and wouldn't press, I tried removing the key and putting it back but I still get the same results: [...]I am thinking of buying an external keyboard but that would be my last resort since they are not cheap especially when you're a college student"

-------

Do you mean the return key?

Yes Use an external keyboard.

Using Another Keyboard:

Reset the SMC and your NVRAM

(Applies to Intel-Based Macs Only): Sometimes when changes(i.e. updates) are made to the system, system configurations (i.e. for then keyboard) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. You may need to use this adapter, if no USB-A port exists: USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

Apr 16, 2022 9:45 PM in response to axelg_

axelg_ wrote:

I am thinking of buying an external keyboard but that would be my last resort since they are not cheap especially when you're a college student

Hi,

I don't know what stores you have around you and what their stock would be, but the Best Buy, Walmart, Target and Office Depot stores near me all have USB keyboards for under $15. That sounds like your best bet given that you can't get in to an Apple Store soon enough. Also keep in mind there are Apple Authorized Service Providers who should be able to fix it.

Enter key won't press

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.