You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My photos program is in a loop.... Gathering favorites, detecting duplicates, analyzing scenes, curating best photos, composing layout. Will not let me quite Photos program. Any ideas

Photos is in a loop.... will not let me quite...

Gathering favorites, detecting duplicates, analyzing scenes, curating best photos, composing layouts....

Any ideas

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 20, 2022 6:09 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2022 12:45 AM

This particular loop will be running for a very long time, and reappear over and over again. It is a background process that is analysing your photos whenever you import new photos or add adjustments and metadata your photos and can be running for weeks. But you should be able to quit Photos while this loop is running. Something else must be happening that is preventing you from quitting Photos. Did you just import new Photos or are exporting Photos? You should not force quit Photos while Photos is indexing or saving new photos right after an import or while it is exporting or sharing photos, or while it is upgrading a library to a new format or while repairing a library.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 21, 2022 12:45 AM in response to Glenn Jr

This particular loop will be running for a very long time, and reappear over and over again. It is a background process that is analysing your photos whenever you import new photos or add adjustments and metadata your photos and can be running for weeks. But you should be able to quit Photos while this loop is running. Something else must be happening that is preventing you from quitting Photos. Did you just import new Photos or are exporting Photos? You should not force quit Photos while Photos is indexing or saving new photos right after an import or while it is exporting or sharing photos, or while it is upgrading a library to a new format or while repairing a library.

My photos program is in a loop.... Gathering favorites, detecting duplicates, analyzing scenes, curating best photos, composing layout. Will not let me quite Photos program. Any ideas

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.