You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Display via USB-C not connecting *STILL* An issue on MacOS 12.3.1

Issue: my external Cinema Display is still not properly recognized by Mac upon wake or power-on.

I have 2 external displays connected to my Mac Mini (M1). One via HDMI, the other (Cinema Display) connected via a USB-C adapter. Whenever my Mac goes to sleep or powers up from being off, the Mac does not properly recognize the USB-C connected Cinema Display and doesn't automatically connect it. The workaround I have to do *every day* is disconnect the USB-C adapter, then plug it back in. Only then does my Cinema Display connect again.

I was SO hopeful when I saw Mac make the following statement about an issue "fixed" in the recent update to MacOS 12.3.1: "USB-C or Thunderbolt external display does not turn on when connected to Mac mini (2018) as a second display" Bingo! That's what I've been hoping for for a year!

No dice. Same ol' problem. Unbelievable, especially considering I'm using an APPLE display, and APPLE adapter, and an APPLE Mac. It does not properly turn on my display. Lame.

Anyone else still experiencing this?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on May 3, 2022 11:06 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 4, 2022 8:39 AM

Hello Blake,

Just to be sure, are you using the guidance below to connect the external displays to the iMac Mini:

If you're using a Mac with the M1 chip:
• On iMac, Mac mini, MacBook Air, and 13-inch MacBook Pro, you can connect one external display using either of the Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports. On iMac, connect your display to either of the ports with the Thunderbolt symbol .
• On Mac mini, you can connect a second display to the HDMI port.
• Using docks or daisy-chaining devices doesn't increase the number of displays you can connect.

These steps can be found in the following article: Connect a display to your Mac - Apple Support

If you're still unable to connect the displays using the steps above, we'd like you to try starting your Mac in safe mode to see if the issue continues. Doing this step will allow your Mac to run certain checks and prevents software from automatically loading or opening. Here are the steps to do this: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Please note that it will take longer than normal for your computer to load. Also, your screen may flash and change colors. Do not be alarmed this is normal behavior when accessing safe mode.

After starting up in safe mode, reboot normally and test again.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Best!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 4, 2022 8:39 AM in response to Blake Hodges

Hello Blake,

Just to be sure, are you using the guidance below to connect the external displays to the iMac Mini:

If you're using a Mac with the M1 chip:
• On iMac, Mac mini, MacBook Air, and 13-inch MacBook Pro, you can connect one external display using either of the Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports. On iMac, connect your display to either of the ports with the Thunderbolt symbol .
• On Mac mini, you can connect a second display to the HDMI port.
• Using docks or daisy-chaining devices doesn't increase the number of displays you can connect.

These steps can be found in the following article: Connect a display to your Mac - Apple Support

If you're still unable to connect the displays using the steps above, we'd like you to try starting your Mac in safe mode to see if the issue continues. Doing this step will allow your Mac to run certain checks and prevents software from automatically loading or opening. Here are the steps to do this: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Please note that it will take longer than normal for your computer to load. Also, your screen may flash and change colors. Do not be alarmed this is normal behavior when accessing safe mode.

After starting up in safe mode, reboot normally and test again.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Best!

External Display via USB-C not connecting *STILL* An issue on MacOS 12.3.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.