You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is MacBook Pro login window now asking for a PIN rather than password?

I've seen this posted recently, but didn't see an answer. Starting two days ago, when waking from sleep, the usual login window on my MacBook now prompts me for a PIN, rather than the usual password. I'm not aware that I ever set a PIN, so I can't unlock it that way. The only workaround I've found is to click on "switch user", then re-select myself, whereupon I'm prompted for a password. Any advice on why this is happening and how to fix?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on May 5, 2022 6:02 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

May 5, 2022 7:02 AM in response to DBalzerMcLean

Thanks. I understand it is not the System lock PIN code screen then.

Is it possible that at one time, you or another (possibly previous and long forgotten) user of that Mac required using a hardware key (USB device) to log in to that Mac?

If so, or if that Mac has ever been out of your physical possession and control there could be reason for concern, in which case I'd be satisfied with nothing less than erasing that Mac and reconfiguring it to ensure nothing that modified it from its factory configuration remains. On the other hand it may simply be a macOS bug that only Apple can address, and I'm just causing needless concern by suggesting that possibility.

If none of those suggestions seem applicable then contact Apple and ask: Get Support.

May 5, 2022 7:40 AM in response to John Galt

Thanks John. In fact I did indeed use a hardware key earlier that day. It was to log in remotely to a web-based work account (so not to log in to the Mac itself). I've used that hardware key occasionally in the past, without this PIN issue cropping up. But perhaps I didn't disconnect the hardware key this time? Not sure.

I hope that helps point the way to a solution.

Why is MacBook Pro login window now asking for a PIN rather than password?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.