You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Login shows "list of users" although "name and password" option is selected

Hello,

I have seen other questions about the opposite of the problem, i.e.: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254348417

When I start my macBook I see a list of users. You then click the one you want to log in to, then it asks you for the password.

This is surprising, because you have the "name and password" option selected in the lock screen settings.

Interestingly the heading does say "when switching user". I can also confirm that it works in that case and shows two boxes (one for name the other for password).

What I am confused about is: why am I only shown this options when switching user, but not when logging in for the first time? This feels quite unintuitive.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 31, 2023 12:14 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2023 6:41 PM

If you have FileVault enabled, that is the only decrypt screen. You can’t use name and password. Once decrypted, you should see name and password on the Lock Screen.

Similar questions

3 replies

Login shows "list of users" although "name and password" option is selected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.