You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine backup to Passport for Mac

When I restarted my Mac recently, the following message appeared and reappears every time I log in: "Time machine couldn't back up to My Passport for Mac. Files can't be copied onto the backup disk because it is read-only."

I have a 2017 iMac with OSMonterey version 12.3.1.

What can I do to fix this?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 5, 2022 5:24 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

May 6, 2022 9:03 AM in response to readersinc

The Mercury Elite Pro is an enclosure for HD's. If you buy the MEP that has no drive it in , you can install your own SSD with an adapter.

No app is 100% trouble-free. In 20+ years of Mac US and over 15 years of TM use I have found it pretty reliable. However the the ultra paranoid (I am in that group) like having redundant backups. Why, because a backup drive can fail too! I use TM and also on a 2nd EHD create a bootable clone backup using SuperDuper!. My choice was SD! however a lot of other users prefer Carbon Copy Cloner and love it. Either SD! or CCC will do the job, it's just a personal choice.

Time Machine backup to Passport for Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.