You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB-C adapter LAN port not working with MacBook Pro 2018 running Monterey 12.3.1

Hi everyone, I have seen some related posts, but not exactly my situation... and it is this:

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)

macOS Monterey version 12.3.1

I am using a USB-C adapter which has a LAN port. It is a Realtek 8153 adapter model, and I have attached a screenshot of its detail from the System Report.

Symptoms:

The lights to the LAN port are on, and I have checked the cable to from my router is functional. The best I can get is a "cable is connected but the connection has no IP address" error message.

I have tried manually assigning a IP address, and I will get it "connected", but no data exchange.

I would very much appreciate any suggestion you may have. Thank you!

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on May 6, 2022 9:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 6, 2022 9:44 AM

It looks like the connection settings in System Preferences->Network are wrong.

It could be something in your mac or your router.

By your description, my guess is that the router does not have DHCP enabled over Ethernet;

or maybe you are connecting to the wrong port on the router.

Some routers have 3 or 4 LAN ports and also a WAN port.

Make sure that you are connecting to one of the LAN ports.

Also make sure that DHCP is active on the router.

Can you post a screenshot of System Preferences->Network, with the Ethernet port selected?

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 6, 2022 9:44 AM in response to Ch4nima1

It looks like the connection settings in System Preferences->Network are wrong.

It could be something in your mac or your router.

By your description, my guess is that the router does not have DHCP enabled over Ethernet;

or maybe you are connecting to the wrong port on the router.

Some routers have 3 or 4 LAN ports and also a WAN port.

Make sure that you are connecting to one of the LAN ports.

Also make sure that DHCP is active on the router.

Can you post a screenshot of System Preferences->Network, with the Ethernet port selected?

May 6, 2022 9:52 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Yes, I got it connected to the proper LAN port on the router. Tried different cable to eliminate the chance of a bum cable too. Attached is the screenshot of the Network panel.

If I switch to Manual IP assignment and give it a vacant one according to my router's connections table, the Network panel switch to Green and Connected, but it won't register on the router table... and no data exchange.

May 6, 2022 10:25 AM in response to Ch4nima1

This seems to confirm that the router is not acting as a DHCP server over Ethernet.

You will have to make changes to the router settings. Most routers provide access to their settings using a web browser, but they each have their own configuration pages.

If you have wifi access you may access them wireless and make the necessary changes.

On the other hand, to configure manually you need to set IP address, subnet mask, router address and DNS server.

The subnet mask is usually 255.255.255.0

but could be slightly different. The router address you probably know, and the DNS may be the router or one provided by your ISP.

May 6, 2022 1:14 PM in response to Ch4nima1

It seems that Monterey does not have good drivers for that Realtek chip:

https://forums.macrumors.com › threads › macos-monterey-users-report-connectivity-issues-with-usb-hubs.2320450 › page-5

macOS Monterey Users Report Connectivity Issues With USB ...

There is a known problem with Realtek RTL8153 Ethernet chip which many docks use. Big Sir introduced DriverKit architecture and Realtek hasn't released DriverKit compatible driver for almost a year now. The default Big Sur Apple driver isn't reliable. I encountered this problem with 2 separate docks from 2 manufacturers. Both use RTL8153 chipset.

There was also a Monterey foru discussion on this same subject but I can't find it.

USB-C adapter LAN port not working with MacBook Pro 2018 running Monterey 12.3.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.