You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow and laggy Apple TV 4K gen 1

Are any of you also experiencing slow UI performance on Apple TV 4K gen 1? The remote control makes a lot of mistakes, it's hard to switch between the windows, not responding very well. Overall hopeless. My Android TV XH90 is doing better.

I will only add that the image is set to 4K, SDR and 4222 colors, so it should not be a problem. There is also a problem when setting Dolby Vision or HDR. Connected via HDMI 2.0

Device updated. It has already been reset to zero once, but the problem persists.

Posted on May 11, 2022 2:07 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 11, 2022 4:31 AM

Are you using the Siri Remote?

Consider resetting the remote. If your Apple TV remote isn't working - Apple Support

Consider sources and shielding that may interfere with bluetooth signals. Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference - Apple Support

Similar questions

8 replies

May 11, 2022 7:30 AM in response to szulzykk

What… you’re using the remote from an Apple TV 3 for an Apple TV 4K?

Although that can be done it just doesn’t make any sense to do that… didn’t you get the original black ATV4 remote with your Apple TV 4K? Because I have the same exact model AppleTV 4K as yours, the first generation. And I get great playback through every video app, Plex, Amazon Prime, Apple TV+… I still have my original remote although the battery doesn’t last very long. I bought a replacement Siri remote, One of the new silver ones. It was great for a while, but I started getting symptoms kind of like what you are describing. It turned out that the trackpad on the remote had gone bad, it happens. I will probably get it replaced when I bring it down to the Apple genius bar closest to me.

Sometimes you can find people selling these on eBay but you have to make sure that they are authorized apple sellers 🍎. If you are not sure whether they are, contact the seller and find out. I understand reluctance to getting a remote replacement, they are not exactly cheap. But, if you don’t have a trackpad remote, it is worth doing...

L-R: Original remote, replacement (trackpad broken).

May 14, 2022 2:26 AM in response to szulzykk

Oh, yes that is identical to my original remote…

I had just ordered a new silver Siri remote and it appears that either it will not charge or the Bluetooth is totally dead so it is not detecting through my Apple TV. it’s going to be sent back tomorrow.

ironically my original silver Siri remote (The one in my image) started working again. That’s something that has boggled me for the last few weeks, it had been working great for almost eight months then suddenly the touchpad stopped working. I suppose I will start a new post about that see if anybody has any ideas.

how about the battery life on that remote, how long does it last? Even if it lasts three or four days it should be good. I have noticed that when they get down to about 25%, they start hanging up occasionally. Whenever I am using that remote I top it off every other day. The battery in that one has gone very dead, but it never really lasted a long time in the first place, probably a week at most. When it started draining in less than a day was when I bought the new remote.

I have found all kinds of people selling the new remotes on eBay you just have to be careful if you buy them from there I was lucky the first time, not so lucky the second time. It’s probably best to buy the new remote from Best Buy or some other authorized dealer… for now though keep your remote above 50% and it should not be as laggy. I thought you were talking about one of the silver remotes for the Apple TV three, I was using one of those for a while, before I realized that there was a touchpad and Siri on the one that they sent. I was just used to the old one…

these original black remotes were OK, but they greatly improved the remote when they put out the silver versions

May 19, 2022 1:23 PM in response to lkrupp

I think part of his problem was the literal positioning of his Apple TV, those original black remotes might be more directional than the new silver ones. I don’t really have to worry about the position of my Apple TV with the new remote, but I did when I was using the black one. He just brought the box into his line of sight.

Slow and laggy Apple TV 4K gen 1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.