You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro going to sleep and not waking up

My MacBook Pro has been going into a sleep mode with a black screen and not turning on afterwards without a restart followed by Command + R. This has been continually happening for approximately two weeks and I cannot find any solution. I know that the laptop is still on because the screen has a very faint backlight even though it's black. If I try to restart without the Command + R, it just goes black again. I'm currently in exams and relying on my laptop a lot so I'm very worried, plus there are no Apple stores in my country. Help???

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 14, 2022 3:41 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 15, 2022 7:59 AM

MoniqueK26 wrote:

My MacBook Pro has been going into a sleep mode with a black screen and not turning on afterwards without a restart followed by Command + R. This has been continually happening for approximately two weeks and I cannot find any solution. I know that the laptop is still on because the screen has a very faint backlight even though it's black. If I try to restart without the Command + R, it just goes black again. I'm currently in exams and relying on my laptop a lot so I'm very worried, plus there are no Apple stores in my country. Help???

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/c7bbbe69-8d13-4291-a270-c654cce6b554

You do not specify what exact Mac is this...(?)

On an Intel Mac I would try resetting the SMC How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 15, 2022 7:59 AM in response to MoniqueK26

MoniqueK26 wrote:

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/c7bbbe69-8d13-4291-a270-c654cce6b554

You do not specify what exact Mac is this...(?)

On an Intel Mac I would try resetting the SMC How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

May 15, 2022 8:25 AM in response to MoniqueK26

MoniqueK26 wrote:

Hey there,

Thank you so much for responding. It's a 2017 13-inch MacBook Pro (Model A1708), so based on some research I don't think it has the T2 chip :( Any other ideas?

?

On your Intel Mac with T1 chip—

ref: On an Intel Mac I would try resetting the SMC How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Reset the SMC on other computers

If your Mac doesn't have the Apple T2 Security Chip, follow these steps.

Notebook computers with a nonremovable battery

—>*This applies to MacBook Pro models introduced in mid-2009 through 2017,* <— 

Macbook Pro going to sleep and not waking up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.