You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini M1 & Dell S3221QS flickering.

Ive had both my Mac Mini M1 and Dell monitor for over a year now and I'm still not able together to the bottom of the constant flickering and fine vertical bars. I use the monitor with an Intel MacBook Pro 15" with absolutely no issues.

I have been through the various threads on here but no-one, it seems, has come up with a solution.

Things I have tried:-

• USB-C to Display Port - results in the screen going totally black and back to normal every few seconds.
  • USB-C to HDMI - I get the flickering and vertical stripes.
  • HDMI - HDMI - As above
  • Dell USB-C to HDMI adapter (a popular recommended solution) - As above

The fact that this monitor seems to work ABSOLUTELY FINE with non-M1 computers suggests to me the issue is with the Apple side of things.

Has anyone found a reliable solution to this?

TIA!

Mac mini, macOS 12.4

Posted on May 20, 2022 9:19 AM

Similar questions

11 replies

May 24, 2022 12:52 PM in response to hcsitas

OK. I've now tried everything you suggest and I still get the flickering and vertical lines issue. This display works perfectly with my Intel based MacBook Pro (15" Touch Bar).

I can (mostly) make the flickering stop when I’m in HDR mode, but the colours are JUST AWEFUL and no matter how much I try and calibrate it, I can’t get a decent quality image.

Surely this is an Apple issue… isn’t it?

I wish I was able to upload a video of the problem.

May 25, 2022 1:00 AM in response to greaseham

You’re welcome! IIWY, I’d stick to standard widths (27” max) minus gimmicks like curved, gaming etc. Better chance of working fuss-free with the mini. I’d also avoid USB C video connections, sticking to HDMI and using USB-A for monitor hub/camera functions (if applicable). If all that’s a compromise you’re willing to make, Dell will play along too like an obedient puppy. Good luck!

Mac mini M1 & Dell S3221QS flickering.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.