You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WiFi Network Name

I have recently seen the following as a password-protected network name in iOS 15 > Settings > WiFi and also on my Mac in WiFi (menubar) > Other Networks: [range]_E30AJT7113426V

I don't know exactly when this first appeared.

Here's what I've done to check this out:

Walk out of house: network name disappears about 10 feet or less from house in any direction

(As our house is on a 5-acre lot, with forest all around, I think this eliminates any neighbor's WiFi.)

Drive away: network name never reappears, although many other potential WiFi networks appear as we reach town.

Shut down each of two Macs in our house: [range]_E30AJT7113426V remains

Shut down external drives: [range]_E30AJT7113426V remains

Shut down WiFi printer: [range]_E30AJT7113426V remains

Shut down (at breaker box) Samsung "Smart Things" range: [range]_E30AJT7113426V remains (not a joke; I seriously wondered)

We have no Personal Hotspots set up on either of our iPhones. Our iPad does not have cellular.

Recent changes in our Mac environment:

Newish 24" M1 iMac.

New Mac Studio

New Studio Display

Mac Studio, macOS 12.4

Posted on May 24, 2022 4:31 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 24, 2022 5:44 PM

Sounds like you have a Samsung range that is WiFi-enabled. The WiFi radio in the range may be powered by a rechargeable battery. You can turn it off - look in the manual for WI-FI On/Off.

As I understand Smart Things enabled appliances, you can use the Smart Things app on your device (iPhone, for example) while in proximity to the appliance; in that case your device would have to connect to the appliance, hence the appliance has a WiFi network address. If you have a Smart Things hub you could use your iPhone to (theoretically, at least) connect to your appliance from anywhere in the world.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 24, 2022 5:44 PM in response to Klahane

Sounds like you have a Samsung range that is WiFi-enabled. The WiFi radio in the range may be powered by a rechargeable battery. You can turn it off - look in the manual for WI-FI On/Off.

As I understand Smart Things enabled appliances, you can use the Smart Things app on your device (iPhone, for example) while in proximity to the appliance; in that case your device would have to connect to the appliance, hence the appliance has a WiFi network address. If you have a Smart Things hub you could use your iPhone to (theoretically, at least) connect to your appliance from anywhere in the world.

May 25, 2022 8:40 AM in response to MartinR

"Sounds like you have a Samsung range that is WiFi-enabled. The WiFi radio in the range may be powered by a rechargeable battery. You can turn it off - look in the manual for WI-FI On/Off."

That appears to be correct. I had searched in the Samsung range manual, but did not have the "correct" spelling: WI-FI (all uppercase with a hyphen).

With WiFi turned off on the range, the network name [range]_E30AJT7113426V disappears in WiFi settings on my iPhone. Turning WiFi back on on the range makes it reappear. (The iPhone only checks for networks every several seconds, so there's a bit of delay.)

I didn't know there was a SmartThings app for iOS. I've downloaded it and we will explore that a bit and see if it's useful for us.

Thanks for your excellent answer.

WiFi Network Name

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.