You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro (13" 2017) won't operate on battery alone anymore

My MBP won't operate on battery anymore, macOS Big Sur 11.6.7 Battery Health condition shows as normal. I ran the Apple hardware systems diagnostics and got nothing. I mostly use my MBP while plugged into power. The rare occasions I want to use it on battery, it shuts down within minutes despite a fully battery charge. It is a 2017 model, but I purchased it from Apple "Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Pro 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 with Retina display" May of 2018.

Do I need to replace the battery despite the reported battery health condition normal?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jun 20, 2022 11:08 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2022 12:29 PM

Most likely yes, you will need to replace the battery. Some battery failures are not revealed by the macOS battery condition status or the diagnostics.

You can try an SMC Reset, but most likely you will need to have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop to provide you with a repair estimate.

Also try disconnecting all external devices in case one of them is causing a problem.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 20, 2022 12:29 PM in response to Brusterman

Most likely yes, you will need to replace the battery. Some battery failures are not revealed by the macOS battery condition status or the diagnostics.

You can try an SMC Reset, but most likely you will need to have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop to provide you with a repair estimate.

Also try disconnecting all external devices in case one of them is causing a problem.

MacBook Pro (13" 2017) won't operate on battery alone anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.