You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does TVOS support personalization toggling?

I’ve got some ideas I would love to share with Apple and I don’t care if I get any compensation whatsoever. What do y’all think?

A) Multiple genres 

When Apple is trying to sell/rent movies in the movie store Apple categorizes movies however Apple wants.  However, when we buy a movie it can only be found under the preset genre. Now how is this a problem for anyone? My son owns over 1,100 movies when we go looking for a romance movie and we can’t remember the title, but know if we can see the cover image we’ll know it. Then we click on the romance genre category, but movie we’re looking for is not listed as romance. So we then try drama and soon we’re getting frustrated because it’s not there either. 

If TVOS allowed us to create a personalization profile allowing users to select multiple genres for a specific purchased movie. Suddenly the movie we we looking for which was listed as a musical or comedy is easier to find.

B) Complete my collection 

My son’s movie collection is massive 1,100 + movies in all. He would buy more movies if TVOS included a feature that used to be a part of iTunes. Say you own Independence Day (movie) and you would like to buy the sequel, but you don’t want to pay full retail. Then one day a discounted bundle appears on sale for a real bargain making the price of both movies $5 and $4.99. You don’t want two copies of the same movie, so go see how much sequel is alone and it’s still at full retail. No sale will be made. If there was a complete this bundle/collection option built into the TVOS Apple would sell more movies because everyone wants a bargain.

C) Rental option to buy 

Have you ever rented a movie and then realized it was so good that you had to buy it? You’re a cheap skate and can’t swallow paying extra for renting it and paying full retail again to buy it. A simple solution would be to offer a discount off of full retail to help offset the rental fee. If I rent a movie and fall in love with it and I know that anytime during the first full viewing of the movie and 5-10 afterwards I can buy it minus even half the rental fee Apple would sell more movies. I would buy more movies and so would my son.

D) Watched or Unwatched

I know that Apple puts newly purchased movies into “Up Next” by default, but my son’s movie collection is massive and we promptly remove newly purchased movies from Up Next in order to keep things neat and tidy. Maybe Apple could give users the option in TVOS to toggle that option on/off for that reason. However, if you’re buying a lot of movies it’s easy to lose track of which movies you have watched. An option In TVOS could allow you to toggle on/off watched status on each movie. But how can you keep things neat and tidy in your genres or categories without a major overhaul? If a movie is newly purchased Apple can by default give the movie a colored highlighted border and better yet give users in TVOS the option to set colors to their preference or not at all. So imagine a user can reset the TVOS defaults to their preferred choices: new purchases don’t appear in Up Next, but they do get a green glow to highlight them in the listings and then if my son watched a movie he thinks one of his parents will like he can change the glow to yellow for Dad and Pink for mom or red to say this one’s RED HOT!

E) Mini-Series or Multiple Sequel folders

I know the Planet of the Apes movies both original and remakes can be found all over listings if you own them all. The Die Hard series don’t all start with “Die Hard” so if you want to see them in order you have to know the exact title and with more than 1,000 movies in the library that gets dicey. Or let’s say you want to watch a musical, but none of movies listed as musicals fit the bill so you didn’t watch anything at all…boring. The next day you’re scrolling through your movie listings on APPLETV and come across The Greatest Showman and thought if I had found this musical last night I’d be much happier today. Why isn’t this movie listed as a musical? It’s clearly a musical. I’d love to be able to create my own folders or toggle settings within TVOS to add in more information or related movies in the series that are in my purchased library. Or as you finish watching a movie and you own the sequel too TVOS suggests “Would you like to watch the sequel?” By default giving you a button to click to begin the sequel. TVOS settings could change the default setting to automatically start the sequel immediately after the initial movie ends and gives you an option to jump directly into the sequel once the credits begin rolling.

A lot to consider but I hope I can start a little commotion on TVOS…probably the most underutilized OS in the Apple stable.

Posted on Jun 22, 2022 11:36 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2022 11:59 PM

To bring your suggestions to Apple, it is advised to use the feedback form. They won’t go reading here. The comment section of the feedback for allows for limited characters, so you may have to submit five times, once for each idea.

Feedback - Apple TV App - Apple

Similar questions

1 reply

Does TVOS support personalization toggling?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.